Low Returns of Squamish River Chum

Thanks for posting. The article raises awareness of the low returns but otherwise doesn't really communicate anything definitive. Were the Cheakamus chum down this year too?

I have now herd numerous people ask DFO about Squamish chum and DFO has skirted the question in almost every instance. It seems like they may have just been forgotten about and that is very sad to hear.
Our SFAC has been raising it for over 5 years at our meetings with DFO and its still don't get any action on marine stock assessment of Squamish Chum.

It's not just Squamish chums that are low in numbers... the Chilliwack was the only lower mainland stream open for chum retention and, from my nearly daily observations, the run was very poor.
These fish should be considered essential for coastal watersheds, and treated as such; stop managing them for Japanese egg fisheries, and anglers. Manage them for their real value - ecosystems.

The nanaimo river had a very poor run of chums also and the coho return was also very poor. But they still had a chum opening out front for weeks and opened the river to 2 hatchery coho a day Nov 1st. go figure.

The nanaimo river had a very poor run of chums also and the coho return was also very poor. But they still had a chum opening out front for weeks and opened the river to 2 hatchery coho a day Nov 1st. go figure.
Nanaimo, Cowichan and Goldstream had escapement over their target. Nanaimo had 82,000 escapement with a target of 40,000

Where did you get those numbers for the chums because there were very few fish in the system very few carcasses on the bank. Usually there are chums everywhere not this year.

Both the Qualicum chum returns were terrible. I walked the Little Q in late November and have never seen it that poor. Pleasant surprise to see nice batches of Coho there though. Bad year for chum in many areas of the coast this year.

Years of overfishing in the chuck with nets in Campbell river has wiped out the Squamish chum.
IMO....the collapse of the Squamish chum is one of the worst stories in our fisheries...yet nobody is talking about it.
Chum are the lifeblood of our rivers. Without the the building blocks for the nutrients it all falls down.
Guess nobody really wants to talk about this either.
https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/HTMLs/CommunalOpeningTimes.html
This is how much DFO cares about conservation!

Years of overfishing in the chuck with nets in Campbell river has wiped out the Squamish chum.
IMO....the collapse of the Squamish chum is one of the worst stories in our fisheries...yet nobody is talking about it.
Chum are the lifeblood of our rivers. Without the the building blocks for the nutrients it all falls down.
Guess nobody really wants to talk about this either.
https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/HTMLs/CommunalOpeningTimes.html
This is how much DFO cares about conservation!

Time to start floating some hay bails down river when the nets go in.

It's not just Squamish chums that are low in numbers... the Chilliwack was the only lower mainland stream open for chum retention and, from my nearly daily observations, the run was very poor.
These fish should be considered essential for coastal watersheds, and treated as such; stop managing them for Japanese egg fisheries, and anglers. Manage them for their real value - ecosystems.
That was exactly what I said, when I was interviewed by the reporter from the Squamish Chief for the article!

As a follow up on this post, I was at Tenderfoot Hatchery on the weekend, which is on Cheakamus River. Speaking with Hatchery staff there, they only saw 2,000 Chum back to the Hatchery. This was about 1/3 of what they typically see. On a average year, they get 6000 Chum.

As a follow up on this post, I was at Tenderfoot Hatchery on the weekend, which is on Cheakamus River. Speaking with Hatchery staff there, they only saw 2,000 Chum back to the Hatchery. This was about 1/3 of what they typically see. On a average year, they get 6000 Chum.

Out of curiousity, what were the Chinook returns for the Squamish system?

I volunteer at the Rosewall hatchery near Fanny Bay. If it's any consolation, our returns of chum were lower this year as well. I understand from others that this was common in most areas on the Coast. Of course this does, once again, beg the question about DFO allowing a commercial chum fishery...

I volunteer at the Rosewall hatchery near Fanny Bay. If it's any consolation, our returns of chum were lower this year as well. I understand from others that this was common in most areas on the Coast. Of course this does, once again, beg the question about DFO allowing a commercial chum fishery...
It seems there was something that caused low chum survival along much of the coast. Chum returns had in the past several years been pretty good, but this illustrates the challenge any of our fisheries face. DFO is unable, or unwilling, to adjust exploitation rates on these fish when the inevitable un-forecasted low return year occurs. Had fisheries, sport, commercial and FN been stopped as soon as it became apparent the runs were low, the escapement may have been adequate to propagate the runs. Now this brood year return may be permanently damaged on runs where commercial/FN harvest was allowed,

Bang on cali. Again, overharvesting not only chums but it seems just about every other salmonid species as well. Disgusting management- it's time we have a department that advocates for fish, not fishing.

Back