Looking to buy radar

casper5280

Crew Member
I'm looking to buy radar for my boat soon and was looking for some pointers.Good radar to buy.Prices.Were to buy.This will be for a 17.5 ft boat.I have the arch already.Thanks

Already have done that.Was looking for new info.Thanks thou.

quote:Originally posted by casper5280

I'm looking to buy radar for my boat soon and was looking for some pointers.Good radar to buy.Prices.Were to buy.This will be for a 17.5 ft boat.I have the arch already.Thanks

I have an older JRC unit that came with my boat. It's OK, but I'm not real happy with it.

I would love to add a Lowrance Radar antenna to my GPS/Sounder.

Though I would say that it is pretty hard to beat Furuno for quality and Pro level equipment.

Hey Sushihunter, do you have any experience with the Lowrance radars? I am trying to get a Lowrance LRA 1800 to match up with my Lowrance LCX 38c HD however they are new for this year and backed up at the factory. Thanks, SS

quote:Originally posted by Striper Sniper

Hey Sushihunter, do you have any experience with the Lowrance radars? I am trying to get a Lowrance LRA 1800 to match up with my Lowrance LCX 38c HD however they are new for this year and backed up at the factory. Thanks, SS

Sorry, I don't have any "hands on" experience with the Lowrance Radar units.

I do have a Lowrance LCX-112c unit onboard, and had a LCX-25c in my last boat. I also have a 3500c GPS in my truck.

LCX-112C-LQTR_xlarge.jpg

The LRA 1800 should be a good match on a small boat. The price is right (be sure to search out a good price on the internet).

It should most certainly be better than this:

jrc_1000_radar.jpg

Thanks Sushihunter, I have found several merchants that will sell the unit for around $1,050. usd however, none have stock yet. I guess patience is a virtue....:D SS

Does any one know of a good place to shop with good prices on the internet.I think I have narrowed it down to the Furuno 1623 or the 1724c.Also the JRC1500, but am still open for any other units that you may like. Thanks

Does any one know of a good place to shop with good prices on the internet.I think I have narrowed it down to the Furuno 1623 or the 1724c.Also the JRC1500, but am still open for any other units that you may like. Thanks

Try searching eBay for what you want. There are some places that sell at pretty low prices - just watch that they don't hit you with over-priced shipping charges. You have to balance it out. Also, don't be in a hurry, sometimes you have to wait a bit for a deal to come along.

If you can afford the Furuno, go with that, it is a much better product than the JRC. On second thought - how much would you give me for my JRC-1000 MkII, so I can upgrade to Furuno? :D

Thanks Sushi but i would perfer to buy new. I too would like to buy the Fununo.I'm hoping to get a 1724c at a great price.I'm looking at it this way, trick out my 17 footer and then when I get a bigger boat move everything on to it and sell this one.I have been looking on Ebay but most seem used older units.Have also been looking on Boatersland,Consumers marine,The GPS store.Any other places to look?

Thanks Sushi but i would perfer to buy new. I too would like to buy the Fununo.I'm hoping to get a 1724c at a great price.I'm looking at it this way, trick out my 17 footer and then when I get a bigger boat move everything on to it and sell this one.I have been looking on Ebay but most seem used older units.Have also been looking on Boatersland,Consumers marine,The GPS store.Any other places to look?

Ya, when checking eBay, look for the dealers - there are a bunch in Florida that have some really good prices. You can also search on Google for the item you want, and a lot of dealers will pop up.

There are also some dealers back east in Canada - I recall one in Quebec that had pretty good prices.

If you can, get them to ship by USPS rather than FedEx or UPS. That way you won't get hit with brokerage fees that can be pretty high - and sometimes it gets through customs without duty being charged.

Back