Looking for a new trailer on Vancouver island

smp747

Crew Member
Looking to replace my aging trailer for my '13 Boston Whaler and don't know where to start. I don't mind spending a bit extra for quality.

Any tips on manufacturers and places to buy in, or around Nanaimo would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Boston Whalers should not be trailered with an all roller trailer. They should have a trailer that is fitted with keel rollers as well as bunks. Hence, the boat's weight is supported at the keel and the bunks provide lateral support. It may be difficult to find the right trailer sitting on a lot. I have had good experience with Highliner Trailers in building the right trailer in the past. They have several dealers on the Island.

Thanks guys.. one more question.. what rating of trailer? 1000lb? 1200lb? 1600lb??

Boat is a side console (coast ranger whaler copy) with a built in gas tank bench seat up front with a 40hp 4stroke Merc on the back of it.

Island spring in Ladysmith sells high liner trailers. Good bunch of guys. They might be able to help.

Boston Whalers should not be trailered with an all roller trailer. They should have a trailer that is fitted with keel rollers as well as bunks. Hence, the boat's weight is supported at the keel and the bunks provide lateral support. It may be difficult to find the right trailer sitting on a lot. I have had good experience with Highliner Trailers in building the right trailer in the past. They have several dealers on the Island.
It is difficult to find a trailer to fit a classic whaler, because they need to be supported by the keel rollers. The bunks are not used to support the boat weight, and should be adjusted to be about 1/4" away from the hull, enough that you can rock the boat when it is sitting on the rollers Most keel rollers will collapse over a few year and no longer allow the boat to roll on and off; they allow the boat to then rest on the bunks. This increases the effort to launch and retrieve the boat. After replacing my rollers 5 years +/- with Stoltz rollers, ( Stoltz Industries, Inc | Polyurethane Rollers for Boat Trailers ) that problem has gone away. To be certain of aligning the boat in the centre of the keel rollers, you can either use self centering rollers or install side boards. I have a friend with a 16ft Whaler that uses a combination of bunks in the rear and rollers near the front that seems to work well for him. I believe it was purchased here in CR at Campbell River Boatland so most likely a Roadrunner.

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 41
  • RollerBunkCombination-300x200.jpg
    RollerBunkCombination-300x200.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 35
I bought roller/ bunk combo 2 years ago. Really like it. Bunks center the boat every time. I don't expect the rollers to need replacement any time soon. The front rollers don't take much abuse. I do need to back in far enough to sink the bunks though. That is only downfall. As soon as the stern floats a bit the boat comes off trailer fast. Mine is Road Runner.

I ended up going with a highliner from island spring. They seemed like good guys and really helpful and we're more than happy to help with the roller/bunk combo. And one month lead time.. I spoke to a coast mountain and roadrunner can't even get wheels or tires to build small trailers right now.

Thanks Delray for the recommendation.

The trailer my boat is on now is a '89 highliner so I figure if it's it's held up for 30 years why not try for another.

Plus with today's market I can probably sell it for half the price as new. LOL.

Back