Looking for a little extra performance.

dmurph

Hey Fellas, looking to get a little better performance out if the 5.7 TKO merc and alpha 1 gen 2. Boat is a 07 2359 trophy pilot house around 5500 I think dry weight and always loaded down with 2 to 4 people plus coolers of ice and food. I run at 3800 rpm and usually get 22 to 28 at the high end mph. Thinking to try a 4 blade prop and maybe a hydrofoil to help get with the mid range a little, boat doesn't like to plain unles I am on it. 3800 to 4000 seems to be its happy place. Wot should be 4400 to 4800 I a Usually get 4400 to 4600 it's at the low end right now but I hope it's just growth from sitting all fall winter. What do you guys think about the 4 blade and hydrofoil, would you re prop over say 400 rpm. I could use a spare prop anyhow. I do have trim tabs.

I can only tell you my experience from last year with my setup.
Don't know if it will work for you.
I have a 115 Yamaha on a 19ft tin boat with pod.
It came with a stock 3-blade 13 X 19 aluminum prop.
Lot's of flex with that prop and hardly any ability to trim it out of the water.
Changed it out for a turning point 4-blade 13 1/4 X 17 aluminum prop.
This is a stiff prop that claims to be like stainless steel with out the cost.
I'm happy with it and it cured my trim problem. (porpoise)
The prop claims to have stern lift and from what I can tell it works.
Boat rides better with the nose down more.
You may want to try that before going to a hydrofoil.
I'm not a fan of those things but they do work on some boats.
I also noticed my hole shot was less and that might have something to do with the flex of the prop.

They say the 4 blade will improve hole shot, lift the stern, and really help the mid range performance. Claims of being able to stay on step at at lower rpm which is what I would benefit from.

a 4blade will help you, I had a similar size/weight boat a couple years ago, put a 4 blade on and made a difference, with your WOT numbers you are propped pretty good.. you will have to drop an inch or two in pitch from the 3 blade going to 4 blade.. another simple solution but often over-looked (has made great improvements for me) is weight distribution, get all heavy objects stowed as far forward as possible. Don't think of anything as insignificant it all adds up, try to avoid keeping coolers and spare cannon balls on deck, stuff them under the cuddy or as far forward as possible.

Ya I certainly have a lot of weight in the stern, jumbo cooler of ice and 9.9 on the swim grid. Usually have another good size cooler on the dog house. Your right about all the weight adding up, I need to clear a few things out of the cabin, good idea to stuff sone if the heavy stuff into the cuddy storage. What do you guys think of the prop and foil together.

Hey Dave,
I'd give the prop a shot first, talk to the guys at bridgebiew and tell them what you want to do, they may even lend you a couple props to try?
definately move that weight forward and get the nose down. hit the throttle hard, get er up on plane then back the throttle down to a cruise,
summer time I even take all traps off and leave behind, amazing what freeing up some weight does.
trim the leg all the way down and use the tabs to bring the nose back down, that boat should hum along pretty decent
all else fails a pod and twins should do the trick lol
Tim

A hyrdofoil would definitely help. I have had good luck with the large Stingray model.(i have them in stock). Do you know what size prop you have on now?

I also have a 300hp MPI mercruiser plus series engine in stock........

A hyrdofoil would definitely help. I have had good luck with the large Stingray model.(i have them in stock). Do you know what size prop you have on now?

I also have a 300hp MPI mercruiser plus series engine in stock........

300hp and a bravo 3 will fix all his performance problems =) his boats under powered especially the drive.

Cheers

What do you guys think of the prop and foil together.

I had the foil on the boat I mentioned also...the foil helped with the 3 blade, but seemed to make no difference with the 4blade, so I removed it...like hookin up said, start with the prop

Ya 300hp and a bravo 3 would be sweet, but that would cost so much money. Wish upgraded the leg to brovo when I had it replaced last year.

Hey Fellas, looking to get a little better performance out if the 5.7 TKO merc and alpha 1 gen 2. Boat is a 07 2359 trophy pilot house around 5500 I think dry weight and always loaded down with 2 to 4 people plus coolers of ice and food. I run at 3800 rpm and usually get 22 to 28 at the high end mph. Thinking to try a 4 blade prop and maybe a hydrofoil to help get with the mid range a little, boat doesn't like to plain unles I am on it. 3800 to 4000 seems to be its happy place. Wot should be 4400 to 4800 I a Usually get 4400 to 4600 it's at the low end right now but I hope it's just growth from sitting all fall winter. What do you guys think about the 4 blade and hydrofoil, would you re prop over say 400 rpm. I could use a spare prop anyhow. I do have trim tabs.

I have same boat. I have run a 15/15 aluminum 4 blade and it was good. I then wanted to switch to SS and tried a Mirage Plus 17p. To much pitch. The boat was good with a light load but had trouble with a heavier load. I now run a Mirage Plus 15p and it is good. Cruise at 25mph and 3500rpm 2.2mpg.

I like 4 blades will help you get on step quicker and stay up at lower rpm. Not a big fan of the hydrofoil I have used them and noticed nothing

Ya 300hp and a bravo 3 would be sweet, but that would cost so much money. Wish upgraded the leg to brovo when I had it replaced last year.

Oh I forgot you did that!! Yeah that alone would have made a massive difference. I'm in limbo right now myself new aluminum with twins or put twins on my boat or just keep it the same. My problem is I can't find a boat like ours in aluminum. I hate the tiny cuddys they all have that I have seen.

I'm taking her out tomorrow gona lay down crab traps and prawn traps I think for the hell of it while I play with an anchor system and tweak out a few things on her. If you wanted to come and feel the difference by all means come along will just be my bud and myself. I will probably launch from rocky point and stay in the arm.

Cheers

Thanks for the offer Tony. I am up in whistler and have plans already for tomorrow otherwise I would be all over that offer. Our boat with twins would be pretty sweet.

Think I will try a 4 blade prop, try and gain that extra 200 to 400 Rpm I am not getting also. Curious if I could gain a little extra go with a different carb? My boats no to bad, but I sometimes feel the need for just a little extra. I would be willing to sacrifice some fuel milage.

hey dave I have a 4 blade I think its 15x17 you can try out before I put it on my boat if you wish

Actually its a 15 x 18 with hub will fit your leg sb able to change it right in the marina but i'm not going in the water lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2352 with a 300hp mag and alpha 1. I use a turning point hustler 14x19 four blade. Works awesome. You may be a little short of HP for this prop but a 17 would work great. And these props are cheap. $125 bucks

That boat must have tons of power with 300hp. Have you has any issues with your leg, that's big horse power for a alpha.

Back