Looking at a 90s trophy 2002

Hicksy12

Looking at a 90s trophy 2002. Posted some pictures of my concerns. Looks like gelcoat damage to the fibreglass on the bottom of the hull and gelcoat cracks in the transom/splashwell. Outside of this the boat looks to be in excellent shape. There is no movement when my full weight is on the engine. Should I be worried about either of these? Survey completed this year so I will be following up with sur

Last edited:
Yeah. Looks rough. Hope it’s a great price!

Strongly recommend getting it surveyed before buying. If that kind of stuff was acceptable to the owner I don’t know if they cared to flush motors etc.
Be cautious!

Looks horrible! Looks like it's been run up on the beach far too many times. Wouldn't be surprised if it is leaking as well.

May be worth looking into further if it was 2001 or newer as those are the composite hull and stringer design. Personally I went with an 03. The older model trophy boats are prone to moisture issues

Just smell it, the smell of rot you can’t deny, if it smells rotten it is rotten. Seriously stick you head anywhere in a hull cavity and do a sniff test, smells like an old travel trailer that got wet lol

The damage on the bottom is severe abuse with total disregard to maintaining vessel integrity. Even Gelcoat is not waterproof & water HAS entered the FG - dunno the long term prospect of that damage, but like brutus says...........

The damage on the bottom is severe abuse with total disregard to maintaining vessel integrity. Even Gelcoat is not waterproof & water HAS entered the FG - dunno the long term prospect of that damage, but like brutus says...........
I would not go on the water in that ting period

I would not go on the water in that ting period
I have owned 2x 1990s bay liner, one was beat up when I bought it, but it was not along term boat for me, it was was to get me on the water at the time, that one is in a land fill now, the other was 2452 classic, I bought it with 300original hrs on it, used it for 6years, got me on the water, but even with good care the thing fell apart after a while, anything that was tab in(chop gun) came undone, to much work to fix it all for what it was worth, sold it for 5 grand, i thinks it is still on the water on Harrison lake where those bay liners belong, the more recent Trophy seem a bit better built boat, but those older ones are not a great built boat period

Back