Long Lake Nanaimo

K

kevin1

Just finished fishing long lake for the past few days and had lots of fish on.Seems the fish are all between 11 14 inches.Is there any bigger fish there? Does anyone bass fish in that lake , maybe in the weeds or at all the pirvate docks?

Let me know

Fished for bass once in Long Lake. I hear it's good but there are better lakes. Shoreline with the underwater fallen timber had the best success.
One guy was trolling a wet fly and just getting little trout.

hey guys, Long Lake is probably the best urban trout lake i know of, and there are some huge bass in there too (well over 20 inches). The key is to use rapalas trolled on a long line for the trout if gear fishing, or leech flies/chrominids if fly fishing. once caught over 40 trout in an afternoon session there 2 years ago. the bass are spread all over the lake and tend to go for plastic lizards or rattling rapalas. most trout in long are smallish due to the fact it is stocked so often (biggest ive caught is only 16 inches), but the bass tend to be fairly good size, with most being 14-18 inches.

Once upon a time, Long had some natural spawners that reached a respectable size.. I believe all of the stocked fish are sterile making it impossible to support any type of stable population..
Don't get me wrong, long is a great way to spend the day polishing up on the different techniques, and hey there just may be one or two that sit down deep waiting for the right thing.-dirty

Back