Live Bait

winephart

Crew Member
Years ago, I used to love to mooch live Herring for Salmon in Burrard Inlet. I moved to the Island 18 years ago and live bait was off the radar. So last weekend a bunch of us were having Beers and the talk turned to what is the best bait. The group was split as to whether the use of live bait was still legal in salt water. A quick look at the regs didn't help. So is it still legal to mooch with live bait?

yep still legal... i dont know where you buy it. as barnacle bill said they dont like to stay on the barbless hooks.

Yes it is legal-and in my opinion if you could get it, bridle it (because of barbless hooks) -then it would outfish anything-just like the good old days when you could get live bait at many places.

I've always wanted to try it, before my time.. I have sabiki rigs rigged up ready to go, and want to try it badly, only ever really seen "boiling" bait balls in Kyuquot and Tofino, never in Vancouver/Georgia Strait(only seen bait on the sounder here)

That used to be the bait of choice in Campbell river at the lighthouse a few years back... But it is not seen on the south coast...

The boys at Buccaneer Marina in Secret Cove still have live herring, lotta work for them to keep them stocked. Several old school fishers still anchor and mooch in the area.

Great for lings.

I used to fish live bait in the 80s and love it. Anchor, turn off motor, attach the little bugger and drop your line and crack a brew. The only thing is...if the is ANY fish down there he will take your herring and it can be a pain if the dogs are around.

I was up at Secret Cove a couple years ago buying bait and talked to the marina owner. He said he loves to fish livies, and that is pretty much the reason why he still brings it in...

And, the still charge $5 a dozen...same price as it was 25 years ago :)

Live bait is an absolute riot to fish.
For those of you that haven't tried it,,,your missing out on some of the best fun you will have.
As an old fart I can give you a small but helpfull tip when using barbless hooks.
Hook herring thru nose as usuall....use a small piece of rubber band on either side of the nose so he can't slip off...or over the nose if you prefer...works for me.

..... Tim

Hey Money,
Do you just cut off a piece of rubber band and thread it onto the hook?
Do you use a Treble for the dorsal fin? not sure of the regs but I think it should be ok if the barbs are pinched...
Do you do anything special on the dorsal fin hook?

Back