live bait mooching Rod development

wildthing

Well quite a few people here on the coast are wanting to get back into using live bait
well since getting live bait is either a DIY experience or buying it here up at secret cove..

whats also is really missing on the market is a nice rod that would really complement that style of fishing

as even some of the dowrigger/ mooching rods are more meant for fishing out of a downrigger and cannonball setup...

so i am trying to get Amundson to think about doing a production run of Rods
and see what the market interest would be for such a design of rod

so here putting out some feelers and what would you think ?

length? reel seat style? blank action? line rating? butt cap

carbon handles or cork, duplon

please positive input as we could get something special done here

thanks John

11 foot light rod 6-12 lbs line able to fish a ¾-2 oz banana weight. Cork handles so the rod fully flexes

That was a couple of my dads rods he had when we fished otta secret cove.

I know ill never find one so I've been eyeing up fly rod blanks

Ya been looking, lamiglas doesn't fit and never heard of talon. No need for a local it not to hard to tie.
I would just rather go to a store and buy it, lol

Lol....... I'm not asking or telling anyone to produce a rod or blank. The poster asked what I thought and that's it. On live bait I spool up on 8lb main and 6lb leaders with #12 hooks. Love to be able to see the tip bounce as the herring is being chased.

I remember live bait mooching but I'm Really Old :cool:

What retailer would sink money into inventory that appeals to such a small market?

Buy how many units/need to pay for them in 30 days and they sit there for years only to be sold off @ a loss.

If you're on the Sunshine Coast why not give Bob a call @ the fishin' barn maybe he has a lead on something with all the oldies living up there they must kick off regularly leaving some interesting gear behind.

DB
you have been away Bob closed shop ....
he headed back down south

and the barn ain't no more...

been gone for over a year now ...

Not trying to be negative, but can you get the sensitivity out of a graphite blank that an old Hardy 10' or 10'10" provided?
Anything I see that's labeled as a mooching rod is really a downrigger rod.
You want a sensitive tip, about the end 18", with a sturdier backbone for hook setting and playing the fish.

That said, as others have pointed out, I think the market would be miniscule. Downriggers were the technological innovation that enabled even inexperienced tyros to regularly catch fish. It's a heck of lot easier to cover a lot of water with a downrigger than it is to seek out the salmon holding/feeding areas, then sit patiently waiting the bite.

Time

"Not trying to be negative, but can you get the sensitivity out of a graphite blank that an old Hardy 10' or 10'10" provided?"

i have a few re-tipped// repaired rods that will and are .....

doubt me. happy to lend you one to use

want to go buy one off the shelf ..... hence my post

glass rods are slow in there recovery which the Hardys where ..

change the tip eye on any moocher rod for a screw in ( quiver tip ) one and there you'll achieve a sensitive tip

Sorry wildthing, as said, didn't want to sound negative.
But I'm not much of a gear collector anymore, so may not be current on everything that's out there.
What's the "quiver tip" you refer to?
Sensitive screw in extension?
That could do it.

Did a search for quiver tip.
Interesting concept/product, and could well provide the sensitivity to show if a fish takes the weight off the rod.
Have you tried one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol....... I'm not asking or telling anyone to produce a rod or blank. The poster asked what I thought and that's it. On live bait I spool up on 8lb main and 6lb leaders with #12 hooks. Love to be able to see the tip bounce as the herring is being chased.

I would say if you took a Sage 2106LB brown blank and built it with a mooching rod handle set up you would have a pretty good mooching rod for the Sunshine Coast.
I did a lot of live bait fishing up there in the late 60's and early 70's and used a lot of different combinations including some modified 9wt fly rods with extension handles.
Watching your rod tip bobbing up and down with a 1 1/2 or 2oz banana weight and getting a "pop up" take was the best!

you can basically take almost any lighter steelhead centerpin rod and make an excellent light line moocher out of it. I have some sage 3113LB pin rods that would be wonderful for that. the 3106L would be nice too. These are both rated 8-17#. back when I used to live bait mooch with my dad it was usually 1261 and 1262 fenwick graphite rods we used. These were super slow parabolic action rods from the early 90's.

spoiler and mikep are on the right path. The light Sage GSH blanks are ideal for this type of fishing. Another blank I would throw in the mix is a Sage 3113LB. Perfect for what you are considering. Originally designed as a river rod for centre pin fishing for steelhead, it is flexible throughout the rod yet stout enough to be able to turn the head of a larger fish (up to 25 lb.). 1262 fenwick is a great choice as well.

I have a blank in mind that has a super soft tip with a ton of power in the butt.. It is a 10'6 10-20# 2pc lure wt 3/8-11/2oz..(Seeker SSH1056) And as an added bonus the action of the blank is a bit faster than most traditional glass moochers. Just this past weekend I experimented with it as a Centerpin with awesome results.. worked out so well, that I have a few ppl interested in have one done as a CP rod.

The draw back, they are not cheap, so asking to have it built for $150 is not feasible as the blank alone is $120 USD. But it is a fantastic blank for those looking for a medium powered rod that could easily fished as a live bait set up. Here's a few pictures of it

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.336337366545238.1073741854.195206607324982&type=3

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Saige 3113 LB!! Older brown blanks are more supple than the more recent green ones. Just need a longer butt on them.

I've used my 3113 MB with a Silex for Springs but with live bait I would lighten it up to the LB. The 11' 3" length is perfect for it.

Good info, and I am pretty certain that everyone understands the value in a custom tied action. $150 is what you would see in a decent quality production run, not custom. :)

There are already blanks made by numerous blank Mfg's that will fit the bill, as are for production. The question begs, is there a market with volume to produce an OEM built rod for this very small and specialized segment of the market?? This is where a fellow with kimbyote's experience comes into play and can easily help individual angler's wishing to participate in live mooching to help satisfy their desire by creating a nice niche in such a small market place. :)

Good on you for seeing the opportunity kimbyote! :)

Thanks StormTrooper, and yes, very hard to push a type of rod very specific to a region.

Very few oems would be willing to invest that much for a relatively small return. As for utilizing a 3113, with the blank running at $350, plus the cost of all the components, very few can justify shelling out $750 on a mooching rod. That being said, I do have contact with a couple OEMs that would be willing to build this with a MOQ of 100 and probably get it around the $200 mark. 1 would have the blank rolled and wrapped offshore and for a bit more, the other will have it rolled and assembled all within NA. Question remains... is there enough ppl to purchase a 100 of these rods?

Just noticed this blank on the closeout page of Utmost Enterprises in Sequim:

A Pac Bay blank.

THREE PIECE SALMON/STEEELHEAD - GREEN
MODEL LENGTH LINE ACTION/POWER BUTT TIP PRICE
RF2SH1561-3
13'
6-10 LB
MODERATE/LIGHT
$45.00
BUY 2 OR MORE ONLY $40.00 EACH!

Sorry about the format but the copy & paste jumbled up.

Anyone really interested I will drop by and take a look, I live 10 miles from Utmost.

Utmost here: http://www.utmostenterprises.com/SPECIALS.htm with a better description.

Just noticed this blank on the closeout page of Utmost Enterprises in Sequim:

A Pac Bay blank.

THREE PIECE SALMON/STEEELHEAD - GREEN
MODEL LENGTH LINE ACTION/POWER BUTT TIP PRICE
RF2SH1561-3
13'
6-10 LB
MODERATE/LIGHT
$45.00
BUY 2 OR MORE ONLY $40.00 EACH!

Sorry about the format but the copy & paste jumbled up.

Anyone really interested I will drop by and take a look, I live 10 miles from Utmost.

Utmost here: http://www.utmostenterprises.com/SPECIALS.htm with a better description.
I mooched live bait for many years and have many various rods, Hardy 10-10/1262 lamiglass/1262 fenglas/2106lb sage all of witch are great!
If one of the MFGs were to make one similar I think they would sell more than most here seem to think, especially with the fact the fishery seems to be on the rebound.
The rods listed above sold well back when very few people spent a lot of money on gear, today good gear is easier to sell IMO.

Mako the blank you linked would make a great mooching rod IMO, I like the longer rod for this application.
If our import crap with couriers like UPS weren't such a joke I would twist up a couple to try myself, but that $80 will end up at least double by the time it gets to me.

just to come back
i am trying out the Savvy cast centerpin rod

which is an off the shelf .... go in and buy it rod ....
model CM2116M 11'-6" 10-17lb rating 2 piece

which will be also ideal for Coho and the lakes

go in where there stocked and give it a bend and see what you think

but personally i would like a 10' to a 10'-6" version
as most boat anglers shun away from longer rods

rear handle is 12" so sits in the tube rod holders nice.
the hardys plus some others with the very short rear grip
makes me think a big spring will just take off with the rod & reel ..

Ive been using a lamiglass mooching rod 10'6 and a sage 3113lb centerpin rod for mooching. If you can get your hands on the older model Lamiglass rods (i believe they made most of the blanks orange) their awesome sticks! the tip is a bit more sensitive than the sage.

Back