Lingcod &Rockfish opening in the Straight

OldBlackDog

Subject: FN0294-Recreational: Variation Order 2006-217 is issued for FINFISH, LINGCOD and ROCKFISH in the Strait of Georgia.

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon)

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0294-Recreational: Variation Order 2006-217 is issued for FINFISH, LINGCOD and ROCKFISH in the Strait of Georgia.

Lingcod
Effective June 15, 2007 at 00:01 hours to September 30, 2007, 23:59 hours, hook
and line fishing only, you may retain one lingcod per day in Areas 13-19
including Sub-area 29-5. Area 28 and the balance of Area 29 will remain closed
due to continued concern for low abundance.

To summarize, for the Areas described:

-one lingcod per day, minimum size limit is 65 cm;
-ten lingcod per year, minimum size limit is 65 cm;
-hook and line gear only, (no spear fishing)

A recreational fishing mortality of 5,000 pieces has been determined as the
allowable catch to ensure continued rebuilding of the lingcod population within
the Strait of Georgia. The effort and catch within the fishery will be
monitored. If the monitoring program indicates that the allowable catch may be
reached before September 30, 2007, the fishery will be closed.

Rockfish
Inshore rockfish are currently closed for fishing throughout the entire Strait
of Georgia. The daily bag limit is one. To ensure that conservation
requirements are met, the recreational rockfish fishery will operate
concurrently with the lingcod fishery. The rockfish fishery will open with
lingcod on June 15, 2007 at 00:01 hours and close on September 30, 2007, 23:59
hours.

-one rockfish per day

Rockfish Conservation Areas, RCA’s
The RCA’s announced for the 2007 fishing season are in effect within the Strait
of Georgia. Since these areas restrict hook and line fishing, lingcod will
receive additional protection from these closures. The consultation process
for identifying RCA’s has been completed.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Contact - Gary Logan, 604-666-6810

Damn, was hoping for June 1st. Nice to have Ling/Rockfish earlier in the season as in September we have salmon to catch. Would rather have seen June 1 to Sept 15, same # of days but better for charter operators...

Hope Gary follows this board for input for next year :)

I've got mixed feelings on this one, yea it would be great to get a few ground fish from time to time, we all like the white meat. On the other hand it would be nice to let these kritters really get reestablished and leave them alone for a few years.

What's the difference between a rules-following angler harvesting 10 ling cod and all the other SOBs who just slaughter and rape and pillage? Give a very recreational salt water fisherman (me) and my young kids a chance to have fun and collect a ling or two!
Maybe talk about the absolute lack of enforcement of any fishery instead. How can we make it so there's actually a Fisheries officer seen on the water?
*grumble grumble*

quote:Originally posted by Brokenrod

I've got mixed feelings on this one, yea it would be great to get a few ground fish from time to time, we all like the white meat. On the other hand it would be nice to let these kritters really get reestablished and leave them alone for a few years.

Think about this.
You are not fishing for them for 81/2 months.
There are now more areas closed for rockfish than last year.

Good point, the RCA's not only stop all fishing in that area, there are plenty of them. That could be enough. OK I'm cool with it. Teaching the young folks how to enjoy what we have has got to be up there on the old priority list. Balance is the key I guess. :) :D [8D]

By us there is actually almost more closed RCA areas than there are open areas if you subtract all the water that is over 500' deep :(

But I'm all for conservation efforts so we work around them and do what we can.

**** poor fishing in BC by BC standards is still better than excellent fishing in most of the rest of Canada!!! I catch more salmon in any given month here than I used to catch in five years back east so it's all good. I really would like to have experienced what it was like 40-50 years ago though..... must have been amazing from the stories the old-timer neighbours tell....

Just remember, this change in opening was driven by Sierra club.
It was originally announced at a s.f.a.b. meeting I was at that we were getting a june 1 opening. Sierra is pushing for a total closure! and when they get that, it will be something else. Believe me. i know what I'm talking about.I've been to the meetings and heard them give thier talks.This is just one step closer to the final goal of closing it all. That is what they are all about.
There is one person who is the main driving force behind it. Some of you will probably know her name.Any geusses?

I'am glad to see ling is open also I take my family out for a day on the boat. I's great fun to watch my little guy jigging

Great oportunity to get a kid hooked on fishing. Had so much fun fishing bottom fish as a kid it was unreal. Most people that fish seriously are pretty selective about keeping lings anyway and will usually throw back the large females that are breeders anyway. Rockfish are some of the best eating fish around. It would really stink to never be able to fish them agaig. In all reality how many do each of us keep a year.

It was one of my experiences some years ago when negotiating on behalf of the Union I represented that we were put in a face to face situation with the Sierra Club and its members over P&P pollution upgrade plans , it was a very revealing 3 days as we got to see the "old money" and the total lack of consideration or even the slightest attention to our Health and Safety officers statements , they had an agenda and damn anyone or anything that was not in their camp !
One of the hardest things I had to train my executive on before retiring was to shut up and listen when the other side is spewing out hate and propaganda , but if you are real quiet.... most of the times you can pick up the small lies and mistakes which build you into a rebuttal position.

Cheers

AL

Back