Lights on a hali rig ... just marketing or effective technique?

I've used various lights, but I find they don't last much beyond 2-3 uses and stop working. How long are they lasting for you?

I've had some for 3 years-others a season. When you are finished with them they need to be dried off-- thoroughly -if you toss them in a damp place and they light then they won't last long! I've had 5 come on in the middle of the night while asleep at anchor due to boat dampness. Not normally a problem except my fishing partners this trip were a couple of old retired mounties!! Damned near got trampled as they leapt out of their bags looking for the action and reaching for their sidearms. LOL I think Lighthouse lures sells a guide pack of 5 or 10 lights which are a significant saving Then you can replace the lights yourself in those squid. By the way the green double flash and the straight white double flash last much longer than the multi-colour (7 colour) ones. More juice used on the 7 colour units-fancier generator and less efficient.

Folks I am back from Haida Gwaii & can give an update on the LED jigs.

The jigs again proved to be very effective. I can honestly say 5-1. I used the 9" white squid with 7 color flash & the Green monster squid with Green flash. Both produced well. My fishing partner spent the first day with his mud raker & finally had enough after only catching one fish he switched over to the green squid. Most the guides did not look impressed when I roll up ~100 yrds away & with in 20 min leave with our 2 halibut. I even seen guys come in right behind me to give it a try. I was nice enough to lend out 2 of my jigs & unfortunately they both where lost..?.. (lesson learned)... In all honesty it was the same as last year. I never had to spend more than 10 min drifting before hooking up.

When fishing deeper with the LED lights (over 600') I would be hooked up before or directly when I hit bottom. Its like they can see it coming from far away & race to get to it first. Also at 600' it picked me up some huge canary & yellow eye rockfish.

I just wish they made the lures in bigger sizes.

The night before I left, my box with LED jigs managed to walk away from my boat & haven't been seen since...... Now I leave for my dream bottom fishing trip to Hippa & I have only one left, & its the green monster...

I will let you know when I get back how well it does at hippa.

Folks I am back from Haida Gwaii & can give an update on the LED jigs.

The jigs again proved to be very effective. I can honestly say 5-1. I used the 9" white squid with 7 color flash & the Green monster squid with Green flash. Both produced well. My fishing partner spent the first day with his mud raker & finally had enough after only catching one fish he switched over to the green squid. Most the guides did not look impressed when I roll up ~100 yrds away & with in 20 min leave with our 2 halibut. I even seen guys come in right behind me to give it a try. I was nice enough to lend out 2 of my jigs & unfortunately they both where lost..?.. (lesson learned)... In all honesty it was the same as last year. I never had to spend more than 10 min drifting before hooking up.

When fishing deeper with the LED lights (over 600') I would be hooked up before or directly when I hit bottom. Its like they can see it coming from far away & race to get to it first. Also at 600' it picked me up some huge canary & yellow eye rockfish.

I just wish they made the lures in bigger sizes.

The night before I left, my box with LED jigs managed to walk away from my boat & haven't been seen since...... Now I leave for my dream bottom fishing trip to Hippa & I have only one left, & its the green monster...

I will let you know when I get back how well it does at hippa.

Interesting about using them in Haida. I have used them for many years and time and again when stacked up against guys without them --it is no contest. Yes they burn out, yes you should dry them to make them last longer-Yes I suppose they're expensive but when you aren't catching fish and the LED guys are--no store around and tons of gas money and accommodation invested --How expensive do they look then. Same analogy for bait guys vs hardware-sure anchovy are expensive when you are in the store-but when the bait guys are taking fish and you aren't---they look pretty inexpensive!!LOL

Ok, I just got back from 2 back to back trips in Haida Gwaii. The LED jigs kicked butt. My biggest Halibut was 133cm @ 67lbs. I never spent more than 15 min with my lure down before hooking into fish. I was down to my last jig when I left & let the guide keep it. He was a believer in it before I left. I will need to order a couple more for next year. I had my book with all my LED jigs robbed while at QCL.... I lent out 2 of them & both were never returned. I have learnt my lesson & will never lend out a lure again. They all told me they worked great but both lost them.?.....?.. As for my book getting robbed, that's my fault. I should not have considered them safe.

The Green 9" squid caught the biggest fish, but the white got more fish.

Did you put any kind of bait on the hook (e.g. salmon belly)? Or scent on the lure itself?

You bet. I used herring. I used a couple zip ties to keep it to the hook. I didn't have any salmon belly's handy, also I seem top get quicker bites with herring.

The only lure to get a hit this weekend was the 9 inch green with squid as bait. The rest of our presentations were eaten by dog fishes( 18 in total). The Big girl decided she wanted to keep the lure with her for a while however. A buddy likes the green machine with a nice long tentacle as his favorite halibut hunting lure.

You bet. I used herring. I used a couple zip ties to keep it to the hook. I didn't have any salmon belly's handy, also I seem top get quicker bites with herring.

I use herring, octo or belly--all work. I do put a tandem hook set-up on the LED Squids as I prefer a thinner hook to what they come with. I have used 14/0 circle hooks but usually I have gone back to the J hooks in 9/0 or 10/0 size. I honestly don't have the patients for circle hooks. Most times I use scent as well!! Starting to like bottom fishing now!! LOL

Back