Licensing Guides...your thoughts?

What about chum? Looks like the commercial cat food industry comes before the Browns Bay Derby.
Why does DFO have an opening before the derby? Send the bag fleet in to cleanup but keep it open for us.
There you go boys it's open but good luck trying to get one.
What about sockeye in PA? Send the bag fleet in on the July long weekend to cleanup and keep it open for me.
Problem there was there were no fish to be caught after they started.
Why in the old days the daily was 8 and the possession was 16 for Chinook.
Now I can go out and if I'm lucky I might get one or 2.
Coho and Chinook are in trouble and there is still a commercial TAC.
Chum are in trouble on the inside of VI and there is a commercial opening this week.
Look at the problems that the Fraser river sockeye are having.
Has it anything to do with the greed for money?
Look at the Herring industry they have wiped out what was once the largest biomass on the inside of VI.
They use to spawn from Quadra to Vic. now the spawn on just a few beaches.
I have tried to show my kid but it's to far south and its over before we get there.
I could go on and on with examples on how the commercials are in control of DFO and every one else if SOL.
Greed for money has turned our ocean into a mere shadow of it's past.
Why do we have fishfarms when we don't even need them to feed the people of Canada.
Could it be for the love of money? The mighty buck rules the day.
Why is my halibut season closed when there is still 2 million pounds left on the Canadian TAC in the water?

Gamechanger I understand where you are coming from and I do see you and your fellow workers trying to help.
The problem is with the higher ups in DFO and our politicians.
Perhaps if they told the commercials to stop we might just save the fish in our oceans.
Then there would be lots for the future and enough for the people of Canada.
GLG

Which already happens with chinook and coho

I should move this to another thread (sorry), but not sure how to do it so here's my reply anyway (sorry again)....

Good in theory, but not happening in all fisheries (halibut, sockeye and chum for example). The fishing plan for Port Alberni this season was a classic example of how not to run a fishery. We had conflicts, recreational boats damaged by angry wreak-less skippers, fishing happening in areas and times that ensured there would be conflicts. What is needed is more attention to fishing plans that by their nature tend to reduce potential conflicts, and frankly more willingness to actually listen to the recreational sector rather than jam something down our throats. At least this season we proved that holding off the commercial chinook fishery until after the Labour Day Derby generally worked for everyone including the fish.

The only problem was DFO had no way to control the actual gill net catch, which was over 3 x as many fish as they had allocated at the start of the fishery...and a quick juggling of the numbers the day after to somehow find enough to allow for the over 10,000 they actually caught. Yeah, I have big issues with the lack of control and accountability of the commercial fishery.

At least with the FN fishery it is a terminal fishery and we have some idea how many fish made it to the river and the ability to regulate the catch. I think the whole commercial fishery should go to the FN so long as they can run a selective terminal fishery. The other bonus is the money made in these types of fisheries stays in the local community, not like the commercial guys who get their fish, then turn and burn to get them to market/processing in Vancouver - no local community benefits for us. Time to game change!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back