Lengthening trailer tongue

the butcher

I have a galvanized 20ft boat trailer which has a short tongue. I am wanting to increase the tongue length by 2ft. Anyone have a 2-3 ft length of galvanized 3x4 tube hanging around? Please PM me. Thanks

roadrunner trailers on mitchell island in richmond have plenty of parts for decent prices.
They don't have cutoffs.. my tongue is 5ft in length. If I were to buy a 7ft section from them it would be $380. Just need a 2ft section so that I can add a swing away coupler or some sort of an inner brace to bolt the connection onto.

Probably don't need the piece to be galvanized. Will never see the water. Just put some good paint on it.
Can get a short length from any metal supplier. Russell or Forsyth metal or Metal Supermarket.

Are you extending the reach because you have to back the tow vehicle too far into the water in order to launch and retrieve the boat, or ?

Are you extending the reach because you have to back the tow vehicle too far into the water in order to launch and retrieve the boat, or ?
Either option would work for me. If I can find a used foldaway coupler for a good price I'd grab it but new I think they are $300 so don't think I'd buy it since boat is parked outside and I won't use the foldaway option. The option that makes most sense for me is just an extension. So I would need to fabricate some sort of square tubing inser that fits inside the existing 3x4 tube and then bolt the ends together.

Instead of extending the trailer have you considered extending the hitch?

CURT Manufacturing 45796 2" Receiver Extender​

Instead of extending the trailer have you considered extending the hitch?

CURT Manufacturing 45796 2" Receiver Extender​

I have thought about it but wasn't sure what a 2ft extension to the hitch would do to my towing characteristics and the tongue weight and stress on the hitch etc

How does it tow now?
You could just add the hitch extension once you get to the staging area near the ramp.
I've been considering this. I hate getting my back wheels salty. Does anybody do this?

How does it tow now?
You could just add the hitch extension once you get to the staging area near the ramp.
I've been considering this. I hate getting my back wheels salty. Does anybody do this?
I add a hitch extension from princess auto just make sure its off when you take the truck downtown!! It does say the hitch capacity drops by half!

How does it tow now?
That would be way too much work to unhitch, move truck forward or push boat trailer sideways(in my case it's a heavy trailer and boat combo so likely need to drive forward), add the 2ft extension, back up, rehitch, then do it again when pulling boat out of water....

Back