LED Lit Tomic

spring fever

Start of august I posted on a Winter Harbour trip where we did very well. I said it was using a lure I was working on but didn't want to show it. I don't know whether you will be able to get this lure from Tomic or not-hope so- ASK- took a lot of work to make it go. Not quite sure how to post this but the first few shots are of fish we caught, then a look at the Tomics (I'm not the greatest artist)- then I hope a video of a lit Tomic. OK -I'm not savy enough to get the vid at the bottom of the pictures so it's by itself.

Attachments

• DSC01175.jpg
    DSC01175.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 785
  • DSC01172.jpg
    DSC01172.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 783
  • DSC01173.jpg
    DSC01173.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 783
  • DSC01189.jpg
    DSC01189.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 783
Yikes!!! Mmmmmmmmm MMMMM MMMMMm MARTIANS!!!

Interesting....How did you make your Martian plug?

Looks legit!! Never fished plugs before but that looks so hot.did u send in your prototype into tonic and ask for it to be produced?id buy one for sure!thanks for posting that

Thanks guys for the interest-for sure they are great fish catchers and I know most of you will grab them!! Why not-they work!! No flasher
How they are made? Has to stay a bit of a trade secret -there is a patent pending on the plug and lighting system held by Salty-dog and Pirates Den-but suffice it to say that it is almost impossible to make at home. He is hopeful that they will be out for the new season!! I'm hopeful because they are a real BLAST to fish and I might get my hands on some plugs with great colour schemes.

Thanks for the plug, SF {pun intended}. SF and others have been testing the products in various sizes most of the 2013 season and through the testing, we've made a number of changes in order to get it right.

We are not yet ready to release the details of the plug, but are hopeful it will be ready for next season. We will keep you posted as to when it will be available at retailers.

Pirates Den will also have other new, never before available products for the upcoming season. As they are released to retailers, we will inform everyone through this, and other, forums.

Man,those plugs look good! Will you be able to order them in any of Tomic's colors and sizes?
Things are not that far along so we can say that. I will also say that even if things went ahead and they were produced-they would not be available in all colours (my take) because as I have found out some colours lend themselves to lights and others seem to damp down the brightness. Probably has a lot to do with certain base paints etc. Rest assured if they are produced the paint scheme will be enhanced by the LED's. My guess is the initial offering will probably be limited in sizes and colours-just to see what the demand is. I'm answering because I have done most of the actual fishing tests on these plugs-I love them, I want to see them produced-whether they are or not is up to the owners of a couple of companies and whether the demand will support a pretty big outlay of capital. There is also a lot of manufacturing issues to resolve to make them totally dependable. My fingers are crossed

Thanks for the reply,SF. I see what you mean about the color affecting the brightness. Will definately be getting a few
when they become available. With the price of bait these days,I'm always looking for a productive alternative in
plastics or hardware.

Thanks for the reply,SF. I see what you mean about the color affecting the brightness. Will definately be getting a few
when they become available. With the price of bait these days,I'm always looking for a productive alternative in
plastics or hardware.

I have to admit I'm predominantly a bait man _ I became involved with this process because-you can't always fish bait and when I couldn't fish bait I hated the feeling that what I had down -wasn't as effective as bait. I was also fascinated with underwater lights after reading a halibut book by (Beath)-bought some battery lights and had the usual problems of carrying batteries, changing batteries etc. Talked to Salty-dog (Pirates Den)-we hit it off-I love his self-contained lights and of course I played with hootchys (they work well) and many other lures that could be LED adapted. Then Salty -dog said how about plugs- I like Tomics and have fished them off and on for 40 plus years- we tried modifying them (drastically) -not something easily done. They did exceptionally well!! easy to fish , no flasher-relatively long usable life and should be (I hope) affordable. There is interest in having these produced and if it keeps up hopefully it will happen. I will state for the record-I have no monetary interest in this project or in any of salty-dogs endeavours. I do receive lights from him to explore their usage in whatever experiments my little heart desires!!! LOL If the plugs don't get commercially produced well I guess I will have to keep modifying plugs to LIGHT things up-cause I am certainly not going to stop using them!!!

I might just be sold on the flashing stuff.

After having some LEDs from Salty Dog/Pirates Den rattling around on board for a few months, I broke down last weekend, stuffed a green LED in the body of the supplied large body turd colored squid, and ran it for some early October, and often lock-jawed Puget Sound coho. I had my doubts while watching the flashing "Eat at Joes" sign descend in to the darkness behind a Qcove flasher, but the coho could not leave it be. It way outfished the other rigger running a tried and true cookies and crème tailwagger.

Salty dog, can you make some smaller ones that will fit in a conventional hootchy for winter springs!

One of the flashy victims:

Attachments

• coho.jpg
    coho.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 255
Nice fish bf 99-I would send salty-dog a PM and ask him directly what you are looking for. One of the problems is that if it were made smaller there would have to be fewer batteries which would shorten life. He may be working on something like that however, and he is pretty innovative; technology moves along pretty quickly in his business. The turd like hootchy (was it quite long-kind of yellow and brown?) We are kind of off track here cause it's a plug thread but for winter springs try a white or army truck cuttlefish hootchy with either a white or green double flash L.E.D.- fished(up here) clooooose and I mean close!! to the bottom.
How do you fish them down there?? Tight lines

Nice fish bf 99-I would send salty-dog a PM and ask him directly what you are looking for. One of the problems is that if it were made smaller there would have to be fewer batteries which would shorten life. He may be working on something like that however, and he is pretty innovative; technology moves along pretty quickly in his business. The turd like hootchy (was it quite long-kind of yellow and brown?) We are kind of off track here cause it's a plug thread but for winter springs try a white or army truck cuttlefish hootchy with either a white or green double flash L.E.D.- fished(up here) clooooose and I mean close!! to the bottom.
How do you fish them down there?? Tight lines

Yes, the turd was long and yellow and brown. Probably be deadly just as with the LED on winter springs. For winter springs here(our blackmouth) I usually run around 30 foot off the clip to get the flasher/lure elevated a bit, then run the DR balls right to the bottom and let em bounce along. The slit cloud produced seems to be a big plus in inciting strikes. Here is one of our "winter springs" from last Thanksgiving day, sorry about the swarm of bugs!

Attachments

• blackie 12_3_2012.jpg
    blackie 12_3_2012.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 246
I might just be sold on the flashing stuff.

After having some LEDs from Salty Dog/Pirates Den rattling around on board for a few months, I broke down last weekend, stuffed a green LED in the body of the supplied large body turd colored squid, and ran it for some early October, and often lock-jawed Puget Sound coho. I had my doubts while watching the flashing "Eat at Joes" sign descend in to the darkness behind a Qcove flasher, but the coho could not leave it be. It way outfished the other rigger running a tried and true cookies and crème tailwagger.

Salty dog, can you make some smaller ones that will fit in a conventional hootchy for winter springs!

One of the flashy victims:

We have some smaller models being produced right now.

Back