LED Light test

spring fever

Great trip to Bamfield -lots of fish so I was able to get the objective testing I wanted with a control to fish the LED hootchies against. Let me say off the bat-they won't make a poor fisherman great- but they will give a good fisherman a very useful tool to make him better. The control lures were an anchovy-61/2 ft tie-green OKI flasher -and a 4.0 green glow coyote-60 inch tie-same flasher. We established very early that either of these combinations would take fish-obtaining double headers at times-in depths from 47ft to 89 ft. Next we tried the LED hootchy against either one or the other. During the day (sunny) the LED fished at the same depths did not distinguish itself-in fact it did no better than an ordinary glow hootchy at those depths. We stepped into deeper water-fishing 140 ft and the LED was picking up fish at the rate of the control.

Evening-now we could see the LED winking very clearly on the surface before being put down-this was 1 hour before sunset and the LED was far superior to either control and always took the biggest and last fish of the evening. This scenerio played out the same in the morning This is exactly the way things worked in Mexico as well!! First and last light plus deep-below a 100 ft seems to be it's place. Mid depths in bright sunlight-there are better things to fish.

The best set-up for the hootchy is a cuttlefish in the same pattern as the hootchy you would choose and the LED closest to that colour or white.The easiest hook set-up was a single large 6/0 quality hook as shown below. Hope this helps all. Great go-to lure deep,morning, evening and low light conditions. Its weakness is mid-depths in sunny-hi light conditions-although no worse than a similiar hootchy. See the fishing report in the Bamfield thread

Attachments

• DSC01050.jpg
    DSC01050.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 364
That's pretty cool spring fever. Thanks for posting up the test results and expeditions. I did buy a double flashing unit from the HC to try in a large turd hoochie. I'm going to try it down in the basement for halibut on the banks.

Thanks for sharing the test and the set-up!! Just might give it a try in the deeper water trolling the bottom.

Well I have to admit-fishing Winter Harbour 3 weeks ago -close to the bottom we did seem to pick-up way more than the usual amount of lings and Hali's. That was the only trip I have had with them doing that. There was no other lure tested against them on the bottom but I have fished WH for 15 years and I was impressed so I think I'm safe in saying it works!!

Are those from a special place or are they in most tackle stores?

Sculpin-Yeah I have seen them in a turd shaped hootchy and they seem to be made for it. I think Pirates den is coming in with Turd sized hootchies in the not too distant future-that's what I have encouraged him to do and I hope it happens.

makes sense, if the glow gear works(and many swear by it) then LED's should work. Let us know how they work out over the season

I will keep everyone posted. One or 2 specific tests does not make it a winner-I've been impressed so far-it seems to work well most of the time but it is important to find out when it does not work and something else does. Right now- it seems that if it is a sunny day and you are working higher in the water column there appears to be no advantage to it. Low light and deep I've noticed good hit percentages compared to other lures. A slightly bigger hotchy say along the line of the TURD would give more flexabilty to tie whatever hook set-up you wanted. That may happen.

Anybody know where I might find these in white (white light) to use in a white squid? Gone Fishing in Nanaimo and Courtenay only have these LEDs in blue and green.
thanks

Not the same-single flash only-white only and Pirates den does not and will not carry those hootchies-you would want to retie everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not the same-single flash only-white only and Pirates den does not and will not carry those hootchies-you would want to retie everything.

Do you work for Pirates Den? Every post you make is related to their lures? The ones I have have been getting very positive feedback and you can also add a siwash J hook to them which I supply for free. If anyone wants to try them feel free to use discount code 1661 for 10% off.

No I don't Work for Pirates Den-and every post I make is not related to them. I have been testing their lights for the last 2 months and you will notice that my comments were not all of a congratulatory nature. I make no money off them!! I have over 800 posts on this forum for at least 4 years-I have written articles for Salmon University and tested lures for other companies. My only comment on your company was they were not the same lights-yours are single flash- white-he has many colours and gone to double. I said that any angler who is serious about hali fishing should re-rig his hali hootchies-The line, swivels and hooks are suspect-I don't have yours but I suspect I would say the same thing for your product . I am not a fan of pre-tied or crimped Chinese fishing gear for our market. You want some serious testing and write -ups-send me some samples and I will be glad to give them a whirl. I do not toute for anyone-I have no stake in this what-so-ever-I want to get the best bang for the buck foreveryone and I do it fairly. I will not comment on your stuff if it offends you and good luck with your endevours-but go back a little on the threads before you start jousting with me-I am not Pirates Den.

Both companies need to figure out how to put the line hole right through the center of these little lights.

I'm sure more people would be using them if they had this feature.

I've looked at both .....and...as you describe in previous threads,Spring F.,.....the outside holes running along the casing are the biggest setback.

Your corrective suggestion for this manufacturing glitch is probably the best fix out there right now, Spring Fever.

Enjoy reading all your posts about these....keep up the good work, sir.......Cheers.

My apologies Spring Fever you are correct about the diversity of your posts. I appreciate your offer in regards to testing my product however I am constantly getting feedback. I received an email about an hour ago from a customer thanking me because he caught a 36inch lingcod and 2 red snapper on one of my squid lure at Galiano today.

Apologies accepted and no hard feelings. There is no doubt the lights work well for bottom fish as has been proved many times. The thing I have been pursueing is getting them to fish well for salmon and trying to understand when they work and how to use them. Like any lure they don't work all the time as I have discovered. They can be very effective in certain circumstances and rigged the right way. Good luck with your product.

Now guys, the above is what I believe is referred to as "Forum Decorum", beats the hell out of some of the pissing matches that occurred in the past, in my opinion...... If my hand ever heals, I will be fishing these right alongside SF!

SS

Back