led hoochies do they work?

No..I put the ring on myself........if it wasn't there and it was through the eye and the eye broke......then the line might tear the hoochy ...so the ring stops the line from damaging the hoochy too much.

I got the idea from someone here who posted about it last year.......I absolutely could have sworn it was you, SpringFever.......

No..I put the ring on myself........if it wasn't there and it was through the eye and the eye broke......then the line might tear the hoochy ...so the ring stops the line from damaging the hoochy too much.

I got the idea from someone here who posted about it last year.......I absolutely could have sworn it was you, SpringFever.......
It probably was-I was experimenting with putting the light right through the hootchy-in other words using the hootchy as a skirt. I tried having a red pop-out pin in the eye and then a split ring. The pop out pin was great and I am still using them. They were tough to make and eventually the loop would break. Then I tried the split ring-3 large-ish springs or a 30 would pop it. Don't think I have ever tried it inside the hootchy- I found that just using the side holders and the hole in the nose of the hootchy worked well. I have towed it beside the boat with a flasher and the action is normal-centrifugal force at work I guess.
I thank you for your input-I'm going to give it a go. Let me know how you make out. It's all a work in progress!!LOL Tight LInes

L.E.D. lights were developed based on the principle that fish are attracted to light. It is the next step up from the glow in the dark counterparts.

I'll give a brief history on this.

Glowing lures were first presented around 1956 in the Great Lakes region. The notion that fish would go for it was ridiculed heavily. But, some folks tried the lures and continued to fish them with remarkable success.

As the years passed and decades ticked away, the concept became ever increasing with the invent of newer lures, different styles. By the mid 80's, nearly everyone had glowing lures in their tackle boxes. The short of it being it took about 30 years before they became mainstream.

Now, as those years went by, technology allowed us to learn more about marine life and discoveries made. It was found that there are a great many sealife that either flash or display light in one form or another. Most of these marine species live at great depths and nearly all are "bait" species.

As SpringFever pointed out, the use of L.E.D. lights is pointless on sunny days and shallower waters. Pirates Den Fishing has never advocated their use during these times or conditions.. unless you have money to waste.

But, when you are fishing in darker conditions, overcast days, night/early morning, stained waters or going down deep, the lights do help. L.E.D. produced light is rapidly absorbed by natural light, this is the plain truth. These lights should be used when fishing in excess of 90ft on sunny days and as shallow as 40ft on overcast or rainy days. Night fishing, of course, means the lights are visible in any depth. Using them can prove more productive, too, if the seabed is thick with ocean fauna as the light can provoke a strike as it flashes through the grass.

So, back to your question- "do they work": YES !! and No. Like anything else, there is a time to use them and a time to save them. There is a way to use them and a way not to use them..

Due to the west coast waters being as unstable as they are, not many folks go for night fishing- it is risky to say the least. On the southern end of the coast, the Gulf coast and along the southern Atlantic, many night fishers use the lights even when top water trolling with success. Of course, fishing styles are as varied as the fish themselves, but it clearly makes sense.

Pirates Den Fishing is the original L.E.D. fishing light in North America and each year, our sales have steadily increased and are offered by more and more retailers. There is a reason for this- they do work. I, personally, am an avid angler having fished all along the entire North American east, west and Gulf coastlines, the Great Lakes and from one to the other of the mighty Mississippi as well as Japan, China and Taiwan. Like everyone else, I have bought and tried far too many products that failed no matter how I used it. It is disappointing at best. We sell these products because I firmly believe in them.

We do not and will not stock any and everything. While I do enjoy making a buck here and there, I am not about to sell what does not work. Everything we sell has been tested and retested. Not just by myself or others working with me, but you guys- the ones that matter and offer an unbiased opinion. There are a few threads right here on this forum where I asked for volunteers to test concepts for us. And, this is not the only forum I post in-- it is one of about 280 and in each one I have different user names and ask those members to test items for their specific areas/species. No product has any identifying markings because I do not want bias brought into the test.

Ok, so let's discuss smaller lights. Yes, I am working on them. Like a mad scientist, I have spent hours at my work bench trying to build something smaller, lighter, more compact. And, I have managed to do so. But, there is a trade off-- in order to make it, the compromise is shorter lifespan. Cost is the next consideration-- it would not be much less than our current offerings. The reason being that component costs have gone up, shipping has gone up, taxes have gone up, fuel surcharges have gone up, labor has gone up and tooling costs for the molds. How many are willing to live with that? Would you be willing to pay almost as much for a smaller light even with a significantly less lifespan? I am talking about maybe 40 hours of life.

Yes...if you make them smaller and the cost isn't excessive I would buy them.....if they work it's not going to take me 40 hours to catch a fish....:cool:

I have so many things to fish that sometimes it's just too much to fish everything in the box.

I have lots of stuff that will catch fish.....but of course we are always looking for something that will work well.

I believe that the LED rigs have their time and place allright........to be fair, with all the stuff I try on a trip I haven't really given them the most fishing time (or conditions ) they really deserve.

I think a smaller LED would be pretty effective if it went inside normal hoochies.....I often won't fish the "big rigs" because at the time smaller spoons and hoochies are working where I fish.

I do fish deeper than 90ft most times I'm out there in this area.....regardless of whether it's sunny or overcast.

Might be even better if you could make the LED with a UV body.....

Could there be such a thing as an LED with a built -in self generating battery? Something that when it contacts saltwater produces a galvanic voltage or something similar?

The you wouldn't need a battery like it has now......it would just generate it's own voltage....

Squid will pulse light.......and the Lanternfish (which salmon eat) also has rows of light nodules on it.

I have been experimenting with kinetic energy as a power source and the concept is plausible. The issue with it is that in order to develop the required power, the actuator assembly would have to be moved at a very fast rate- far faster than trolling would permit. In jig form, the energy can be produced as required, but the cycle is very short- unless you are jigging into depths of about 620 feet.

A rechargeable system is in the works though it may not be ready for a couple years.

As for a UV body for the light units, the white resin bodies have UV characteristics as well as glow in the dark features. Glow powder is expensive and too much would compromise the strength of the resin. But, they do glow- not super bright and not super long.

As it is, we have quite a few things planned for future offerings. And, as with anything else, time and money seem to be in short supply. I'm just a couple hundred thousand dollars from bringing to market things that would blow your minds-- entirely new products never offered anywhere before.

Anyone wanna loan a poor guy some cash???

How about going on the t.v.show "Shark Tank"?

I think the Canadian show is called "Dragon's Den"......

they've got lots of money...........:p

Last edited by a moderator:
How about going on the t.v.show "Shark Tank"?

I think the Canadian show is called "Dragon's Den"......

they've got lots of money...........:p

A lady that I used to rent from in WA keeps trying to get me to go for that. In fact, she sent me a recent newspaper clipping regarding the show and someone that was on in the town where she lives. She wants me to go for it because I designed and built a portable micro "hydrostation" that generates and stores power for her home, guesthouse and cabin as well as a few other things. I built it for less than $1800 and its been in nonstop use for 8 years.

The major issue is that you have to risk showing someone what you are doing- next thing you know, they copy what you are doing. There are a number of people that will do that because they do not have the capacity to do their own thing. They are scavengers unable to think for themselves-- they let others do all the research, testing, marketing, modeling, advertising and such then they just jump in and act like they did all the legwork. In many cases, they don't even know the product or market- they simply know it is a great concept that will earn them money- they couldn't care less about anything else.

Next, you have to show a proven market for the item presented. In order to do this, the item must be in production and store shelves. If I could get these things in production, I am up and running anyway..

Give me some time, I'll get it all together and get them on store shelves. I am working with a great group of people - each pitching in to set the wheels in motion. Just bear with us a bit.

All of us at Pirates Den and our development teams appreciate your support.

Back