Leaking deck hatch

bMcN

The deck hatch on my boat is leaking. I'm pretty sure it is through cracks in the caulking around the hatch, not the rubber seal. There hasn't been much rain since I bought the boat, and before me it was stored in a boat house. I think it's just the rains from the last couple of weeks that has been getting through. Not much water. Maybe a 1/4 cup or so, judging from what I sponged off the cushions in the cuddy. I'm tempted to just re-caulk the hatch and dry out the interior. Anyone been through this and wished they had instead removed the hatch and dried the whole mess before caulking?

The deck hatch on my boat is leaking. I'm pretty sure it is through cracks in the caulking around the hatch, not the rubber seal. There hasn't been much rain since I bought the boat, and before me it was stored in a boat house. I think it's just the rains from the last couple of weeks that has been getting through. Not much water. Maybe a 1/4 cup or so, judging from what I sponged off the cushions in the cuddy. I'm tempted to just re-caulk the hatch and dry out the interior. Anyone been through this and wished they had instead removed the hatch and dried the whole mess before caulking?
Not sure of the built of your boat but if the core underneth is expose true small cracks where the calking seals it, the core will soak up water like a sponge and you will regret not doing it right

Thanks for the feedback. It's an older boat, 1976 Bertram. I'm pretty sure it's wood core under the fiberglass.

Agree with others that doing it right the first time is the way to go before you have rot problems.Remove the hatch ,clean both hatch bottom and fiberglass under it.You need to take the glaze off the fiberglass for the new caulking to stick properly,so sand it with 80 grit and wipe down with acetone.Recaulk with Sikaflex or 5200 and it should be good for many years.

Caulking fails eventually. I've always pulled the hatches as Brutus suggests - not that big a job but a little tedious. Take your time pulling the hatch. Wood wedges and a sharp knife help. Good clean up of the old material and surfaces before recaulking is critical to a good seal. Definitely dry the core area. Then use a high quality marine sealant like Sikaflex. Clean up any excess before it sets up. Masking tape around the perimeter of the hatch beforehand helps prevent a mess. Uncured smears can be removed by using acetone, sparingly.

Back