Large Outboard Bracket

Hello All, I have just purchased a 21' Campion boat. Mid 80's. The inboard has been removed, new transom, stringers, epoxy paint job. I am ready for a bracket that will hold my big motor and kicker. I'm sure some of you guys have done the same, I want to know if your pod has a lot of flotation, eg. follow the bottom of the boat with the pod or do you just have a swimgrid with a smaller style enclosure. Everyone's got an opinion on this I'd like to know what works best. I know too much flotation is bad. Pics would be great!

On the pod side of the fence definitly extend it down to the keel if you have the $$$ for it. This will make the cost of pod fabrication quite a bit more than a swim grid with a partial pod but you'll find getting the boat up on trim a LOT easier if you are underpowered or heavily stern weighted. You also won't have to worry about catching the corners of the swim grid in turns or the drag of the swim platform at certain trim settings. (Speaking from experience with a boat with a partial pod)

Something to consider is having mounting holes built into the deck of swim platform for a removable drop in swim ladder. Use mine all the time for snorkeling/dive charters and you can get a nie heavy gauge removable solution this way.

Only thing to watch out for if you go to the transom with your pod is that the length of the boat will "officially" change from a Transport Canada perspective which can have implications on the level/type of training cerificates required and on-board safety gear required from a "small commercial vessel program" perspective. Partial pods seem to be a gray zone.....

Make sure you get someone with lot's of experience to build your pod as they see A LOT or pressure from the outboard and failure of the pod usually envolves treading water and lot's of bubbles :)

I can help you with a full sized flotation type pod. Needs hatch covers, other than that RTG. $1k. I can make pics and measurements available.

I think you will be most pleased with extra floatation of the braket when you hand a big OB off of her. I can search my local board for their many who have sourced same as you and will have good contacts for quality fabs and manufactures.

shoot me an email if you want me to inquire or you can register yourself at www.ifish.net

Thankyou everyone, I recently bought the identical boat as mine as a parts boat, 21' Campion. The guy spent $2800 on the pod (full flotation) absolutely beautiful aluminum work, with very extensive bracing inside of the pod, gunnels and the works. Also included with the boat came a brand new 40 gallon fuel tank, never installed, just sitting there, it was also made out of heavy gauge aluminum with a stamp of approval from some local government org. The pod was also different then all I have seen in that when the designer made it he used a full plate along the bottom of the transom, so where you would normally screw the trim tabs into the bare gelcoat and fiberglass, he welded small plates and perfectly installed bennett trim tabs onto the pod itself. Very Clean. I paid 25 cents on the doller for the parts and gave the left over hull to a friend. Very excited, all I can think about is fishing.

Hmmmm..... if it's government approved I'd check it REALLY carefully.....REALLY carefully.......REALLY REALLY carefully.....REALLY REALLY REALLY carefully

sounds like you got a great deal, good one!

Back