Landing net woes

http://www.frabill.com/nets-accesso...-tangle-free-weighted-nylon-fish-net-277.htmlI just recently bought a Frabill Pro-Formance Pacific Northwest landing net with a 6 ft. handle.It's got a anodized aluminum handle that fits in the regular Scotty holders even with the padded but cap.Haven't tried it yet but I figure if I don't like the length I
can always pull the butt cap off and cut off a foot or so.I sometimes found the 4 ft handles a bit of a reach when netting by myself.Got it on sale at Harbour Chandler for $110.00.Can't wait to hopefully slide a nice spring into it next week when we head down for another trip.
Thought I'd update this post since going out this morning off Sooke.Had a chance to use it on a 18 lber today at the Trapshack and honestly have to say I don't like the style of the bag.It's a teardrop style and I found it too narrow in the mid section of the bag and nearly lost the spring due to it snagging the hooks.The frame and handle are nice and light and well constructed but the bag has to go.Just MHO but thought it was worth mentioning.

IMHO the nicest net that I’ve ever seen are the new Beckman Salmon nets with the blue anodized aluminum frame. 6’ handle. They are far lighter than my Scotty and the Gibbs and the quality is very high. I just need to sell my net first but 100% will be upgrading. Anyone looking for a 1 season old Scotty?
Which model did you end up going with?

I lost the net portion of my Gibbs catch and release net today, the pin that is supposed to pop up and hold the net in place got stuck down, and as soon as the net hit the water it was off the handle, and I was left holding the handle...LOL.
Sorry, don’t mean to derail the thread, but any good locally made spring salmon size catch and release nets available? I’m truly sick and tired of the Asian garbage

Same happened to me in the Tyee boat. I was able to grab the hoop and land the fish but made for interesting time in the rowboat ! Just a little swearing ! I wrapped the end of the handle (passed the hoop) with black tape so it cant slip passed. Hokey but it worked.

CRGreg

I lost the net portion of my Gibbs catch and release net today, the pin that is supposed to pop up and hold the net in place got stuck down, and as soon as the net hit the water it was off the handle, and I was left holding the handle...LOL.
Sorry, don’t mean to derail the thread, but any good locally made spring salmon size catch and release nets available? I’m truly sick and tired of the Asian garbage

A not uncommon problem for the spring steel with the pin or dimple on it that locks into place to fail with time on a number of nets from different manufactures. I keep two large nets on the boat as I like the idea of a spare for everything. One of the nets had the spring pin fail, but luckily not while netting and I replaced it with a SS bolt with a lock nut. That one stays in the net holder and is always ready to use with the handle out and bolted in place. On a small boat or a boat without a superstructure to mount the net holder, this may not be an option. If you can, mount a rod holder on the outside of the cabin close to the fishing deck and stick the net in it.
If you had to collapse the net for space, you could use a bolt with a wing nut. One of my old fishing buddies did this each time he went out and stuck the net on the hard top roof of his 17 DE style boat with the handle extended.

Last edited:
Back