lakes

K

knucklebuster2

is there any good off shore fishing in lakes around the nanaimo area right now [?]

Westwood is pretty good for RB's and Bass, Long Lake apparently has big bass but I only caught little ones last time out.

Cheers

GMac

The trout seem to have 'activated'.
Granted it's not a Nanaimo report but we hooked into 3 trout while bassin' at Elk lake yesterday and today we caught 3 tout on spinners at Fuller lake. A few double headers by the fly-guys too. Nice sized fish all around. All our trout were pretty close to shore, close enough for a good sized spinner.

I am leaning towards BS when people speak of big ones at Long lake. I haven't caught anything there over 2lbs. I have seen a few non-bass fishermen catch 2-3lb smallies on light gear and proclaim them of, "At least 5lbs!"
heh

I'm hitt'n the nitty tomorow morning for my first time. (doing a jig)
just got some waders and a they fit like a glove!! Whooooo hooooo!!

WAS AT TWO LAKES THIS PAST WEEKEND.FIRST WAS ECHO LAKE JUST OUTSIDE CAMPBELL RIVER,STARTED FLY FISHING BUT NOTHING AT ALL,SWITCHED OVER TO SPINNER GEAR AT THE SOUTH END OF THE LAKE. IWAS FISHING WITH PANTHER MARTIN AND WAS JUST SLAYING TROUT ONE AFTER ANOTHER.I LEARNED A INTERESTING FACT THAT LAST YEAR FLY FISHING CHAMPIONSHIPS WERE HELD THERE,THAT EXPLAINED THE EXTRA LARGE GIRTHS ON THE FISH WE CAUGHT,NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE ON THE ISLAND. WORTH THE DRIVE !

FULLER LAKE CHEMAINUS, SUNDAY AFTER NOON BROUGHT HOME 5 TROUT- 17" TO 20"INCH VERY SURPRISED,NEVER HAD ANY LUCK EVER AT THAT LAKE BEFORE.
GOOD LUCK

Hey Man
A good trip!
At Fuller, were you using the fly or hardware?
With the smaller lakes cooling it seems about time to get out on them again.

FLY GEAR! BLACK LEACH,WOOLEY BUGGER. HARDWARE JUST DOES NOT CUT IT IN THAT LAKE. THERE WAS SIX OTHER BOATS IN THE WATER THAT SUN ALL TROLLING GANG TROLL,THEY ALL PRODUCED NEXT TO NOTHING.

well im not bringing my float tube or anything were just going to fish of shore.I was thinking power bait just of bottem[?]

long does have big ones, just not many. taken 2 over 20 inches outa there. big lizards seem to do it for me- green tones.

big lizards[?]when to branden got a couple on bottem with orange power bait but nothing of anysize.It was pretty slow

Whent to horne lake monday morning,got there at around 7 and started hitting 12 to 23 inchers right away it was awsome .It slowed down at about 11 and it stayed slow till about 4 and then it heated up again.I was fishing of shore useing orange power bait ,i was also useing real eegs
got more fish on power bait tho[^]

HERE IS A TIP IF YOU LIKE TO FISH OFF THE BOTTOM. YOU SHOULD CONSIDER TRYING IT.THREAD HALF OF WORM ONTO A #4 HOOK THEN PLACE A MINITURE WHITE MARSHMALLOW ON THE HOOK.MAKE SURE YOU FIRST PLACE A BARREL WEIGHT ON YOUR LINE THEN CAP IT WITH A SWIVEL,FROM THE SWIVEL TIE 12 TO 15 INCHES OF LINE WITH YOUR THREADED #4 HOOK WITH WORM 'MM'.WHEN YOU CAST OUT YOU LINE IN ON THE BOTTOM ,REAL IN THE SLACK UNTIL YOUR LINE IS SNUG THEN KEEP YOUR SPOOL OPEN. WHEN THE FISH TAKE YOUR HOOK YOU WILL NOTICE YOUR LINE TKE OFF. SET THE HOOK AND BRING IN YOUR TROPHY. THE WORM AND MARSHMALLOW REPRESENT A SNAIL,WORKS IN ANY LAKE WHERE EVER YOU FISH,TRUST ME.LET ME KNOW HOW YOU MADE OUT WITH ANOTHER HEADING"BOTTOM FISHING".I AM OFF TO THE MAINLAND FOR A WEEK FISHING SEVERAL DIFFERENT LAKES,I USE THIS WITH HUGE RETURNS. GOOD LUCK

sounds just like the typical powerbait setup but instead you use a worm + marshmellow? Doesn't the marshmellow have to be quite big to make the worm float up? Should the leader be longer if there are lots of weeds?

just got back from horne lake and tryed the white marshmello trick and it worked!!! got 2 fish in and lost 4 or 5 it was awsome [8D]

Spent quite a while at Elk lake over the weekend. Couple small bass, no trout. Any tips out there for the bass? Elk/Beaver? Thanks!

We had a good trip at Elk last weekend.
With the waters still around 60 degrees, the smallmouth are still kinda deep, 18'-26'. There is a good area for smallies along the highway (tho deeper along the weed edges)
Beaver is a total slop right now. I stay out of there generally after the spring season.
In the rowing lane there is 2 humps that come up to 18'-20' in 40+' of water. That's a good place for smallies. Then the Largemouth seem to be really taking over the shallows in Elk too!

Thats so cool that there are largemouth in elk lake now. I caught a really small one the other day. First one!

Hehe, how big have the large mouth been getting in that lake? Hopefully they flourish and we get some monsters. I don't care if they are not a native fish elk lake has survived the sunfish, the perch, those huge california bullfrogs so some large mouth bass won't bring the end to that great fishing lake.

P.S why fish for Bass when the trout fishing is so good? Way better fights and I catch a few bass trout fishing anyways.

Used to fish elk all the time for bass. Average at 5lbs seen them as big a over 10lbs. The biggest was taken on a 10" plug just near the launch. The bass always put up a better fight than the trout in that lake. use only enough weight to get a worm/hook to the bottom and pull it up a couple feet. Wait for it to get heavy as if it is snagged in the weeds. The bass mouth the worm then spit and suck before swallowing. Feel that weight then set the hook. Lots on the backside of teh lake. Light gear is the best!

Back