Kinda weird but I need a lawnmower.

cracked_ribs

Basically, I moved to Ladysmith where I have a lawn for the first time.

When I was a kid on the island there were always these grease monkey small engine shops in somebody's garage and you could get an old Homelite chainsaw for $40 and a heavily used but perfectly tuned 1960s Sears lawnmower for another $30.

Can anybody point me to something like that, somewhere on the south island? Basically I don't want a $400 lawnmower from Home Depot that's brand new from China, if I could get an old one made somewhere in the west that's been gone over by a local small engine guy for a hundred bucks. Does this kind of thing still exist or do I just sound like a crazy guy with a weird conspiracy theory about small engines?

It doesn't have to be gas or anything, I don't really care, I just only have experience with chainsaws and they've always come from some guy's basement that reeks of two-stroke and his nails are permanently black from working on them and I give him cash and that's how I like the world to work. Anyway if this is making sense to someone and they have a name or a phone number for me I'd appreciate it.

How much grass do you have to cut and is their hills?
Hm, good questions. Not that much - I think the whole lot is 1/5 of an acre and lots of it is taken up by garden space, parking, and the house.

It's on a slope but nothing extreme at all. I'll put it this way, I grew up with a manual 1960s push mower and I wouldn't hesitate to just use one of those.

I bought one a couple years ago on Used vic for $60
5 hp Briggs, lives outside all winter and starts second pull

Colin, Former owner of wise buys fishing supplies is just this guy.....his backyard is a collection of small engine powered outdoor stuff of varying vintages that all run well. He has an old truck in his carport that looks way better than new. He was listing stuff on usedvic and I was looking for a small lawn mower for my rental house. I would search on used Vic and if you see multiple listings from same guy that's probably him.

Good luck,
Darin

I bet a guy like that has an old pushmower for our 3 small patches of grass. I like my Scott's from Home Depot and I just figured out how to sharpen it by putting the gears on the opposite sides with some valve grinding compound on the blades and taking it for a walk. But the older ones were heavier and better.

Colin, Former owner of wise buys fishing supplies is just this guy.....his backyard is a collection of small engine powered outdoor stuff of varying vintages that all run well. He has an old truck in his carport that looks way better than new. He was listing stuff on usedvic and I was looking for a small lawn mower for my rental house. I would search on used Vic and if you see multiple listings from same guy that's probably him.

Good luck,
Darin
PERFECT!

Thank you.

I have couples of good lawnmowers for sale.
I am a marine mechanic.

I worked for Fitz's Walker power equipment for few years.

Back