In the Fraser River, a big run now is 10 million fish. But the river
once had 10 times as many fish. It's hard to imagine 100 million
salmon returning to the river, but it once was that rich - and could
be again.

Salmon runs in B.C. fluctuate. Some years are good; since the mid-
90s, most have been bad. When the fish don't come back, fisheries
managers usually blame natural conditions. The ocean, they say, was
experiencing an El Nino event and fish just didn't thrive. Or
streams were too warm and fish died in high numbers before spawning.

But those are convenient excuses that allow fisheries managers, and
society in general, to avoid facing the real blame.

The simple fact is, stocks are in wide decline because we have been
killing far too many salmon for far too long.

In 1913, the year of the last great run in the Fraser, an estimated
38 million sockeye returned. But 32 million of those fish were
killed and put in cans. Four years later, when the run crashed to
just eight million sockeye, the government allowed a catch of more
than 7.3 million fish.

Since then the government has typically allowed 40 to 70 per cent of
any given run to be taken in nets.

Industrial, resource, urban and agricultural developments have all
destroyed habitat. But the only people directly and deliberately
killing salmon have been commercial, sport and native fishermen.

They have been killing too many fish and, astonishingly enough,
continue to kill too many fish, as the federal Department of
Fisheries and Oceans attempts to parcel out an "allowable catch" to
each sector.

Even in dismal years, such as this one with just 1.6 million sockeye
in the Fraser, DFO has allowed fishing, arguing that a certain
percentage can be harvested and stocks can still rebuild.

But almost every year they get it wrong. And stocks decline.

When salmon die after spawning, they return nutrients to freshwater
systems.

Researchers have shown that when a big run of salmon returns to a
river, such as the Adams, it enriches the aquatic environment,
creating ideal rearing conditions for fry.

When runs are poor, there are less nutrients, and the young salmon
that hatch the following spring struggle to survive.

Nobody knows what damage has been done to the environment by
overfishing, and stripping salmon nutrients out of the system, for
100 years.

But grizzly bears are starving on some rivers, and killer whales are
abandoning coastal regions because of a lack of Chinook.

Not only has overfishing hurt the environment, but it has also
brought the commercial fleet to its knees and left native villages
impoverished. It's time for some drastic steps.

First, we must stop killing wild salmon. With so many runs in
decline, and an inability to precisely tune commercial fisheries,
B.C. simply must end the slaughter until stocks recover to historic
levels.

That means ending the commercial fishery at sea. Shut it down and
get government emergency funding to assist fishermen in the way
forest workers are being helped through the pine-beetle infestation.

In rivers, only live traps should be used, such as beach seines,
weirs and fish wheels, so that wild fish can be released while
surplus hatchery stocks are retained.

All sports fishing should be restricted to catch-and-release.

Stop the commercial sale of salmon by native communities.

Hatchery fish can be taken for food and ceremonial purposes, but
nobody should be killing wild salmon for profit when the species is
endangered.

Provide government funding for the transition of salmon farms to
closed-tank technology to end sea-lice infestations. Farms that
won't adapt should be closed, but those that are ready to evolve
should get support, including land grants and tax breaks.

In the transition period, fallow all open-net salmon farms along the
migration routes of young salmon in the spring.

Restructure the DFO so that its primary mandate is to restore salmon
runs, not to serve the fishing industry.

With these tough measures, salmon won't only survive, they will
thrive again. Imagine 100 million salmon in the Fraser.

Agree with most points but would add that all hatchery fish should be marked not just the 10% that is currently done. Don’t agree with sporty C&R but would be OK with less total per year. Great post twinwinds hope your not some poster with an alter agenda. GLG

Twinwinds you should really quote your source. Bad form unless you are the author.
GLG

Didn't know who author was....just received it earlier from a buddy!
thought you guys might wanna see it is all.......
cheers.

Twinwinds yup in that case it was the guy that started the email that should preface it with the authors name. On balance I am still glad you posted it. I must admit that when I read it I thought, who is this guy and I wonder how much time it took to craft that message. Glad that it’s a cleared up now. GLG

Great post!

This needs to be backed by all members of all user groups and hand delivered to Ottawa.

Hardships and all, this needs to be done for future generations. I don't want my children to hear our stories of times gone past as we do with the great american plains and the millions of Buffulo that were slaughtered. Same numbers at hand. Can you imagine? They managed to wipe out so many resources over the centuries. It will happen again unless we stop it while there is a chance.

Whipeing out the Buffalo did what it was ment to accomplish. First Nations people starved to death and it made it easier to take over when they were weak. The loss of salmon stocks almost seems like it is part of the same master plan. Comparativly though it is pretty similar in some reguards. The commercial fishing boats represnt the guys that were hired to kill the buffalo. To the point of extinction. The economic and social effects on the First Nations is similar as well. Perhaps someone else could refresh my memory, After the whites killed off all the Buffalo, did everyone blame the natives for whipeing out the Buffalo heards by shooting the last one for food? like they do with the Salmon?

"I don't want my children to hear our stories of times gone past"

Regrettably we're already there. The fish stories I have from the late 70s / early 80s would sicken the average Newbe today - and my kids already witness extremely poor fishing in comparison to those days. I can only imagine how hard it is for newcomers to catch a fish.

I'm with you on this one. I've got stories from as little as 20 years ago that would blow alot of newbs away. I have a hard beleiving it myself. Feels like just yesterday

quote:Originally posted by The Fish Assassin

Whipeing out the Buffalo did what it was ment to accomplish. First Nations people starved to death and it made it easier to take over when they were weak. The loss of salmon stocks almost seems like it is part of the same master plan. Comparativly though it is pretty similar in some reguards. The commercial fishing boats represnt the guys that were hired to kill the buffalo. To the point of extinction. The economic and social effects on the First Nations is similar as well. Perhaps someone else could refresh my memory, After the whites killed off all the Buffalo, did everyone blame the natives for whipeing out the Buffalo heards by shooting the last one for food? like they do with the Salmon?

Who is this "everyone" you refer to Fish Assassin? I'm not really sure where to start with your post. I don't know what you're teaching your kids, but I'm sure not teaching mine to blame anyone else. We are all accountable including you and me. Maybe start there.

How am I accountable? I have never shot a Buffalo in my life.

Let's face it, people are the problem.... period.
doesn't matter what color you are, we all contribute to it.
If the resource was left untouched by man, there would be no problem.

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

"Mans" been fishing and hunting these stocks for 10's of thousands of years with no dire consequences, It has in fact been the last 300 or so years that the stocks have declined, which happens to coincide with white people arriving here. Natives had their own laws in regards to Salmon management, which took thousands of years to perfect. Perhaps early on they discovered that over fishing would be detrimental to the fish stocks and this is why all bands developed a policy to avoid over fishing. It was titled "Take only what you need to survive" This is why when "settlers" arrived here there where so many fish. It would have been easy enough for the Natives back then to catch all the fish that returned to a system, but they knew that they needed escapement to continue the cycle of life.

Who's to blame? No one really... it is kind of an inevitable act that has followed mankind from the start. Perhaps before settlement the Natives here lived in a certain balance with Nature, but it doesn't matter where you look in the world now you will see that with development comes extinction and assimilation. Call it the "Nature of man". Who knows what things would be like if whites never came here? I assume the fishing would be great, but the fact is that we are all here now, all in the same boat if you will, what we do now to move ahead will make all the difference in the future. I agree that we need to act now to save what is left for future generations, but find it hard to do without getting the respect from other user groups that we deserve and has also been received from the highest courts in the land. All that the true stewards of this land get is accused of over fishing and poaching. Once respect is given, we can quit arguing amongst ourselves and tackle the problem together which is the only way it will ever work. For everyone to be on the same page and wanting to rebuild the stocks side by side. Who is better equipped to look after the stocks than the people who have managed them for most of the last 10's of thousands of years? But funding will have to come from the government. You can't expect these people to flip the bill for restoring the salmon all on their own while they have a hard enough time to put food on the table. But with adequate funding you could basically hire the fisherman that now fish the rivers to help to rebuild it while giving them an income at the same time, so they won't have to rely on catching fish to sell.

I would be in favor of an all out ban on fishing, other than FSC (food, social, and ceremonial fisheries) for 4 years and see where we are at after that time. DFO would have to throw out all escapement models they currently have and just let the fish do their thing without sending in a seine boat to clean up after they get what they think they need for escapement. 4 years may not be long enough to completely rebuild the salmon stocks, but with funding for more salmon enhancement at the same time perhaps in 5-8 years from now we could all reap the benefits so to speak, but never again should we fish they way that we have, instead of fishing on runs in the open sea heading them off at the pass so to say, just do smaller terminal fisheries on the systems that have an exceptional return. Sport fishing limits could be reinstated similar to the limits we see now. I know this would be extremely tough for guides, but perhaps there could be a special guide license established that would allow people with a guide license to go out and fish "catch and release only" That way people can still go out and get the experience of catching the big one getting their picture taken with it and release it back into the water so that it could still spawn. In fact if they where the only ones allowed to be out fishing I'm sure their business would do quite well indeed. I’m sure that a few “meat fishermen” would be kinda pissed off but I think in general the clients would totally understand.

Anyways, I kinda ranted there a little bit, but that’s my 5 cents on it.

I would be in favor of an all out ban on fishing, other than FSC (food, social, and ceremonial fisheries) for 4 years and see where we are at after that time

Not quite fair in my opinion, if we're talking about a total ban
that should include all user groups.

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

Well I can't see not having our cerimonies for 4 years. The potlach society is stronger now than it ever has been since it became ileagle to practise. Every year there are more and more people joining it. People will die in this 4 yrs, the guests at the funerals need to eat. Our entire way of life is interlinked with Salmon, always has been, hopefully always will be. There is no way we could ever NOT fish for FSC fish. It's not as simple as not going fishing...

But fishing for profit is something entirely different. Take only what we need, let the rest spawn.

Back