Killer whales!!

R

RobTufnail

Well i read the april point fishing report and they said that a pod of whales was moving through munching on sea lions and what do you know, a few days later a pod of killer whales come over to entrance island and begin the massacre:D Heard the sea lions from my house and people told me that some have just floated up dead on the beaches in front of their homes.

I didnt think the type of orcas that eat seals/sea lions came down here, but im not complaining:D A welcome site at any time

quote:Originally posted by RobTufnail

I didnt think the type of orcas that eat seals/sea lions came down here, but im not complaining:D A welcome site at any time
Those 'Transient' Orcas-AKA the Meat Eaters-range from Alaska to California, the problem is that there aren't all that many of them

Saw tanscients a couple times last year (Browns Bay, Mitlenatch Island)
Seeing seals swimmming 20 feet up the rocks trying to get out of the water was something my guests will always remember.
Look for smaller pods and very straight (no curved leading edge) dorsals.

Transient Killers helping to keep the sea lion population in check is a wonderful thing. Wish there were more of them. Just hope that you're not out there to close to them while they're feeding in open waters. Your boat will be the only nearest "dry land" for the sea lions to get away from the pod, and at about 800 or more pounds each, it won't take too many to sink you.

Transient group of Orca's confirmed observation this last week: Ranging from just off of Tofino (Long Beach area) over through the deep hole in front of Ukee. Perhaps 20 to 25 in the group, appears to be a collection of younger/smaller animals. They were indeed targetting on sea lions (witnessed one kill, and another pursuit) while out there trolling. We of course were heavily cheering them on! And with the numbers (large that is) of prey items this year, we're all hoping they settle in for a spell!![}:)]

Cheers,
Nog

quote:Originally posted by Butt Ugly

Your boat will be the only nearest "dry land" for the sea lions to get away from the pod, and at about 800 or more pounds each, it won't take too many to sink you.

I clipped an article out of the local paper a few years ago, killer whales going through and a seal jumped up and landed on a boaters transom pod. There was a great picture to go with it, seal had eyes the size of saucers.

its funny how the seals have those puppy dog eyes and look so cute, but are more then willing to bite your hand off as soon as you get near em[xx(]
people should learn that they aren't cute

Let's hope that one of those transient killer whales gets this sea lion. We'll see how he likes it when the roles are reversed and he's on the receiving end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VhlaXIyeFA

quote:Originally posted by RobTufnail

entrance island and begin the massacre:D Heard the sea lions from my house and people told me that some have just floated up dead on the beaches in front of their homes.

Hope they got that ****** at the Grande...him and I have unfinished business[}:)]

sorry to say but that was posted a month or so ago.
and that seal is still around:(

Saw a small pod chasing down a baby gray whale a few years ago. They all went right past my boat while hali fishing. BIG bull turned back and circled us a few times.

Can't remember a time that I felt smaller. Cool nonetheless.

Howdy,

A few years back while framing houses with this guy here in Victoria, he took on some help by hiring a buddy of his named Alex who was looking for work in the off-season of his whale-watching business he'd just started a year or two previously.

I never forgot the story Alex told me one day...

He had a boat full of tourists out on his big Zodiac somewhere off Oak Bay or thereabouts when suddenly from out of nowhere this freaked-out seal jumps into the back of the boat and just sits there between the two engines.

While the excited tourists snapped pics the seal growled at everyone.
Alex soon saw the pod of whales nearby and realized what was happening.

After some time he shooed the seal back into the water where they all watched - in horror I suppose - as the critter was finally dispatched minutes later within a couple of hundred yards of them.

He said he then motored over to the scene immediately and they saw blood in the water along with assorted 'bits' of seal floating around.

Suppose they all got their money's worth that day.

Cheers,
Terry

I could have used an orca last night--we battled one little ##@$% last night for 15 minutes trying to get our spring back off Secretary--got the gear but he got the fish.
Blue Orca--interesting that you saw them at Mitlenatch chasing seals. We used to go over there all the time when I was a kid (40 years ago!)to fish for coho and get abalone and oysters. I also used to help the biologists band birds. I was about 9 or 10 when one of the biologists pointed out a situation where a seal had been chased up onto a drying rock and the orca was still circling. The tide was coming in... I was fascinated and horrified at the same time and I abandoned the biologist and sat to watch. The seal's rock was beginning to disappear when he finally made a dive for the main island--didn't make it. Just a swirl and some blood in the water. I was cheering for the seal, now I'd be cheering for the whale!
T2

Back