Kicker Winterize 05 Yam 9.9

Finished Business

Did a brief search and came up with a lot of posts about winterizing your main, but not much on smaller motors.

My project boat came with a 05 Yam 9.9 4stroke kicker with under 200 hrs.

The motor had maintenance done in the fall, not winterized but gear lube, spark plugs and oil change done last fall. Since then I doubt the kicker saw any use this season as the main motor failed during the first trips of the year.

The kicker will likely sit for up to a year while I am working on the build. Is there anything else I can do in regards to winterizing it over this period of time to avoid any future problems?

Thanks buoyz

Fill a small portable gas tank with fresh ethanol free gas (Shell 91 octane is ethanol free) and add some Stabil. Run the motor on muffs for 5 minutes until the stabilized fuel has made it's way through the carbs. Apply grease to the mechanical linkages and any other greased parts (tilt, steering etc).

Store it in an upright (running) position preferably in an area that won't freeze over the winter. Should be good like that for a full year.

All good points, however, maybe also drain and add new oil to leg,
may have some hidden water, best to know now. I usually fog my motor
also when storing for the winter. ........BB

All good points, however, maybe also drain and add new oil to leg,
may have some hidden water, best to know now. I usually fog my motor
also when storing for the winter. ........BB

Yep I also spray anti fogging into cylinders and throttle body. Lubes up those pistons and rings well.

Back