Kicker Suicide Wheel

BDog Fisher

looking to install small suicide wheel for my 9.9 Yamaha kicker (non tiller model). The way my motors are set up I can’t tie into the main motors so the steering for kicker has to be independent . A name of a shop preferably on the Mainland and/or web link to the product would be great.

I currently have Garmin TR1 but parts keep going and hard to find replacements now that it is discontinued. Garmin 40 Reactor and Panther T5 has a lot of mixed reviews so going to stay away.

Thanks, B

Hello You an see on back of boat you can buy wheel and all .I know trotac has them maybe the other marine shops up island . I assume you have the steering helm set up? I used both large and small wheels I prefer the smaller as its easy to use (tigher movements) good luck
190650895_10158868338046084_704492764435856635_n.jpg

Hello You an see on back of boat you can buy wheel and all .I know trotac has them maybe

Sorry don’t know what you mean by steering helm. My kicker is non tiller model. I have the throttle and key station on the side gunnel next to the downrigger. My kicker is on a jack lift and sits out past the main motors so can’t tie into those motors. I currently steer and control kicker with TR1 autopilot but the program is junk.

why can’t you tie into the mains hydraulic steering? Should be able to use a liquid tie bar or similar valving system and add a ram to the kickers tilt tube. just need the lines sized and run so the bracket still works. maybe there’s a reason this wouldn’t work? Harbour chandler Carrie’s the steering wheels as well.

Sorry don’t know what you mean by steering helm. My kicker is non tiller model. I have the throttle and key station on the side gunnel next to the downrigger. My kicker is on a jack lift and sits out past the main motors so can’t tie into those motors. I currently steer and control kicker with TR1 autopilot but the program is junk.
steering helm is what you mount the wheel to, options are hydraulic or steering cable

Sorry don’t know what you mean by steering helm. My kicker is non tiller model. I have the throttle and key station on the side gunnel next to the downrigger. My kicker is on a jack lift and sits out past the main motors so can’t tie into those motors. I currently steer and control kicker with TR1 autopilot but the program is junkTo
To go the route of maunal steering your gonna need what brando said somewhere to mount a helm lines etc really not hard to do.
Is your boat a outboard i assume there is always a way of jigging a steering arm. like others said put a pic of the back of boat..

Roy looks like you have full independent ram for your kicker as opposed to valve and tie bar off your main? If so what ram is on your kicker ? Thinking to do the same on my boat eventually.

Roy looks like you have full independent ram for your kicker as opposed to valve and tie bar off your main? If so what ram is on your kicker ? Thinking to do the same on my boat eventually.
I do but that was from before when I had a inboard and I have 2- 3 way valves that would swith over for the kicker only and I could steer from front of boat and rear of boat while it disengaged the inboard drive leg. NOW its set up to disengage the kicker so when im running on main my kicker isnt flopping back and forth while main is running and driving in when up its tillted to far port so cables and such dont get kinked.

The way it is now I stop lower kicker start it up switch valves over and both the 350 and the 20 turn together and is very easy to turn and the main is like a HUGE rudder in synh with the kicker and I can steer from the front or back still. I already had the system in place so I just rerouted and used what was there.

The ram is the one for kickers very small I had to add some metal extensions to jig it all but really not that difficult if I can do it anyone can LOL
the hydrolics my buddy who is a marine tech did it as you have to make sure ALL the lines are in synch LOL ask me how I know LOL

To go the route of maunal steering your gonna need what brando said somewhere to mount a helm lines etc really not hard to do.
Is your boat a outboard i assume there is always a way of jigging a steering arm. like others said put a pic of the back of boat..
Ok here we go fishers and techs. Help me please.

I spoke to tech at Sea Star and he said Bay Star Hydraulic kit won’t work. If I understand what he said, the two main “thumb shoes” holding the kicker would have to be removed, leaving only the “eye” holding the kicker in place. He highly recommended not doing hydraulic kit as the kicker could fall off??

So he recommended Sea star kicker cable tie bar. This could be adjusted to any length.

More info, distance when kicker motor is jacked up for on plane running is 41 inches between front of kicker and the front of starboard main motor. I really have to jack it up to clear the water. Also I can’t have the kicker moving back and forth when running on plane. Kicker has to stay to the one side, other side it digs into the water when running on plane. So would need a quick disconnect if tied to main motors.

Opinions or thoughts? I need to get away from finicky auto pilots. Would like suicide wheel near my kicker controls, perhaps also tie into the main motors.

C87523CE-7C4F-4703-9132-CEB2E1BC1198.jpeg

5DDCD23D-19F3-442A-84A3-75F484DB3506.jpeg

EC14DE18-D6BD-4F07-B3D8-3098D40E4431.jpeg

Honestly if you call seastar they will never recommend using rams on kickers or mixmatching. It's their liability and they are programmed to say that. However that being said, you might get away with that cable tiebar with your setup looking at the geometry of the setback of the kicker. Looks like lots of room. In order to achieve anything your going to have to clean up that mess of a rigging situation and make for smooth and free rigging to allow movement.

The drawback of the cable tiebar in your situation is, it will add more resistance to your current setup. You might notice it, you might not. Hard to say. That being said if it was my boat, I would put another hc5345 ram on there with a valve and be done. Kicker fall off lol

they also need 14” to the side of the tilt tube I think it will hit the side step/swim grid where his kicker is mounted but that portion should be facing the other motor so maybe it’s ok?
Hard to say. I never sell those things. However without looking at the spec sheet I would assume it's just like any other cable which I think is an 8 inch bend radious? So it would be funky. You would also have a steering arm sticking out the starboard side which would be annoying as hell.

Hard to say. I never sell those things. However without looking at the spec sheet I would assume it's just like any other cable which I think is an 8 inch bend radious? So it would be funky. You would also have a steering arm sticking out the starboard side which would be annoying as hell.
@ship happens

So if I understand you correct, when you say “valve” you mean a hydraulic Sea Star system along with Ram motor mount? What hydraulic system model do I need? I can then run it directly to suicide wheel next to my kicker controls?

As for the cable tie bar, I am of sort of following you all here, the kicker sticks out quite a way so don’t think it will hit the swim grid. Not really sure if I can clean up the cables as they all are required minus the TR1 cables. I don’t really want to create more resistance but it sounds like you are not really sure what the tie bar will do.

Anyone else have any experience with tie bars similar to my set up?

Guess one of those things ask 5 guys get 5 different answers.

You all can sense I am not that mechanically minded. Does anyone know of a shop or experienced mechanic that could help me out on the Mainland for parts ordering and install?

Thanks B

@ship happens

So if I understand you correct, when you say “valve” you mean a hydraulic Sea Star system along with Ram motor mount? What hydraulic system model do I need? I can then run it directly to suicide wheel next to my kicker controls?

As for the cable tie bar, I am of sort of following you all here, the kicker sticks out quite a way so don’t think it will hit the swim grid. Not really sure if I can clean up the cables as they all are required minus the TR1 cables. I don’t really want to create more resistance but it sounds like you are not really sure what the tie bar will do.

Anyone else have any experience with tie bars similar to my set up?

Guess one of those things ask 5 guys get 5 different answers.

You all can sense I am not that mechanically minded. Does anyone know of a shop or experienced mechanic that could help me out on the Mainland for parts ordering and install?

Thanks B

You already have a seastar system. The valve will allow you to turn your kicker steering off from the system. Works when you want it to.

If your on the mainland then send me a pm. I'll get you setup.

This is what I’m referring to if you read the link I posted you’ll see in the install notes the necessary clearances, there is also a chart etc to look at. I have the system it works well but it’s not going to work in every application.
A43424A2-9535-4175-98A5-ACF53E778173.jpeg

This is what I’m referring to if you read the link I posted you’ll see in the install notes the necessary clearances, there is also a chart etc to look at. I have the system it works well but it’s not going to work in every application.
View attachment 92348
It's a good point. He should have that clearance between the main engines. I think the real limitation is the double 90 and when the engine is tilted up its going to have hard restraints on the movement. He needs a cylinder and a valve for sure.

Back