Key Tips To Consistent Mature Chinook Hook Ups

If a big spring won't release off the rigger because of a soft hit...don't snap it off the rigger yourself. If the fish hasn't hit it hard enough to pull free it likely hasn't hit hard enough to set the hooks in either. By snapping it off the rigger you give the fish some slack line and if he is shaking his head the hooks will drop out and by by fish. Instead fight the urge to pop it off and either hit the throttle which will put instant pressure on the hooks/fish causing the hooks to dig in and the fish will resist this as well making him trip off...or turn your rigger on and keep up to it with the reel to keep the line tight...dragging him up 10 feet is all it takes and he will not like being dragged towards the surface and will make him pop it off.

X2 for turning the rigger on. I've seen multiple mid 20 fish and several tyees not get the line off the clip. This seemed to happen lots fishing deep with hoochies and turning the rigger on was the easiest way to get it off the clip and feel some tension.

One thing that hasn't been talked about to much is Voltage. If you have a 'hot' boat you will not EVER catch a big spring! Something to check

X2 for turning the rigger on. I've seen multiple mid 20 fish and several tyees not get the line off the clip. This seemed to happen lots fishing deep with hoochies and turning the rigger on was the easiest way to get it off the clip and feel some tension.
how about dropping the DR to release-less bow in the line-speed up takes out that bow in the line

One thing that hasn't been talked about to much is Voltage. If you have a 'hot' boat you will not EVER catch a big spring! Something to check

Not true I had a lodge boat that was fishing awesome catching lots decided to check voltage it was almost .9

Roll of the bait is the most important factor id say

Just out of curiosity, how do you check your boat voltage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

how about dropping the DR to release-less bow in the line-speed up takes out that bow in the line

Dropping also works but if you're already rubbing bottom it isn't an option. Unless it's a tiny fish, raising the ball will get it off the clip every time. Either way you need someone on the rod. ;)

Not true I had a lodge boat that was fishing awesome catching lots decided to check voltage it was almost .9

Roll of the bait is the most important factor id say

They were probably eating bananas too, lol. ;)

Dropping also works but if you're already rubbing bottom it isn't an option. Unless it's a tiny fish, raising the ball will get it off the clip every time. Either way you need someone on the rod. ;)

I disagree with that, considering line belly and speed of the rigger
you can end up with a lot of slack line.
many times the rod man can't reel fast enough.

If a big spring won't release off the rigger because of a soft hit...don't snap it off the rigger yourself. If the fish hasn't hit it hard enough to pull free it likely hasn't hit hard enough to set the hooks in either. By snapping it off the rigger you give the fish some slack line and if he is shaking his head the hooks will drop out and by by fish. Instead fight the urge to pop it off and either hit the throttle which will put instant pressure on the hooks/fish causing the hooks to dig in and the fish will resist this as well making him trip off...or turn your rigger on and keep up to it with the reel to keep the line tight...dragging him up 10 feet is all it takes and he will not like being dragged towards the surface and will make him pop it off.

I never thought of bringing it up, I always go down with the rigger or just start reeling while the rod is still in the holder.

Good tips, thanks for sharing

I disagree with that, considering line belly and speed of the rigger
you can end up with a lot of slack line.
many times the rod man can't reel fast enough.

It works well for me, I did this guiding so I had absolute rookies on the rods as well. The fish pops the clip right away and starts peeling line, so no issue with line belly. In fact, the rigger probably gives a better hook set than the angler could possibly give. I've primarily done this fishing 100' plus and never had a legal Chinook stay on the rigger while it comes up for longer than a couple seconds. Either way works :)

I agree with other bring it up I said that in a earlier post also set pins TIGHT if a fish pops it off hes usually on look back at what I wrote,

As for voltage you need a multi meter put the neg on the battery and pos on your wire but test it out fishing with all that you run sounder, kicker, music everything..

good luck Wolf

I don't run the new HP Scotties with those you wouldn't be able to wind the reel fast enough to keep up unless you are using a geared reel...you might also tear the face of the fish with the new HP's too ..lol

Lots of really great information and observations here. Great thread. Sure helps a "regular" guy like me.

However after five years of fishing Sooke (not much maybe compared to the experts on here) I do have an opinion. I think Profisher's original point #3 in the first post is the most important and should be #1.

Being at the right location on the right tides is key and is the main reason many are more successful. I still do not really know when to fish where. (I'm talking about just Sooke here where fish are fewer in number than say Haida Gwai, Swiftsure or Nootka and exact location is maybe not so important).

You can have the most reliable and fishy roll, the sharpest hooks, the best knots, and invisible fluorocarbon leaders but you still cannot catch a fish that is not there. In Sooke it is about location, location, location and you can only learn that by experience and keeping a detailed log of what fish were caught where and the state of the tide at the time. Patterns may then emerge.

I keep a log but I have not been able to see any patterns yet. Last year it was the Bluffs and Sheringham that produced a few for me. This year it is harbour mouth and Possession for the small number I have caught. I have no idea why. Until I work some more of this out and understand where to be at what state of the tide (and what area to troll) it will remain a bit hit or miss.

P.S. Smell may be important as well. We humans have an amino acid on our skin called L-serine and salmon have been shown scientifically to be very sensitive to it. Here is a link to a paper but there is a lot more on the web about this.

http://jgp.rupress.org/content/39/6/889.abstract

As result, I always bait up using gloves.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Think about what direction the current is flowing. now think about which structures will cause back eddies.
you should be planning your trip around this when possible.
currents will push bait and fish into the back eddies where they hold waiting for slack water when they can move much easier.
In Victoria for example Trial island creates a natural back eddy on the west side on an ebb and on the east side on a flood.

Last edited by a moderator:
Roland...here is the best tip you are going to get...I won't give you an Otter Point tip as you lack confidence there. Be at the light an hour before the end of the ebb current (not the tide..the end of ebb flow) and stay there until the flood kicks in. There are other productive periods there but remember that one and stay there. And watch what is happening around you and get to where the action is. (without getting involved with someone else's hookup

Back