Key Tips To Consistent Mature Chinook Hook Ups

Professionals take money for there time.I'm not a guide so a bit of a hijack to your question.Motor out of gear?no, nay,never ,no more. always circling the fish and on top of it.If the salmon, trout swims at the boat the opperator must be able to asist with a little more speed or slow to turn and catch up if the fish went the other way.Even the tyee club rowwing guides don't stop rowwing when fish is on.
Yup that's what we do too. Constant speed and course changes to keep tension on the line and the fish behind the boat. Now I don't get to fish all that often and we want to try and keep what we are allowed so we will tack out of the fleet to play our fish and seem to have a very good catch rate. However I also think that it sometimes mean we miss that second or third bite by tacking out of the fleet. Motor in neutral would be a bit more fun. I have also noticed that the guides tend to hold their tack while playing a fish or come around and go back where they got a hit and I think that is why they boat more fish.
Like Profisher said.... no pictures and get the gear back in the water while the bite is on.

Same as what pro said bring the fish to the boat I position the boat so its easier to get in , cant tell you how many times I watch guys trying to drag a 20 lber in with boat in gear put it in neutral she comes right in more time that fish has to thrash around more chances of that hook coming out,
I too try and get it way out or go tighter to shore to get away from other boats.
As for when someone gets one on in front of me I just turn around and do a circle by the time ive done that most people have it in and you will be surprised at how many fish you get by doing that, As i think if there is a small school there they tend to spook a bit and you get them on the turn..

good luck Wolf

The guys who leave the boat in gear have to think about what happens to the bag of the net when you dip it when the boat is moving...especially if you mess up a bit and misjudge the fish coming into the net. The bag will close up and drag behind the rim...you have little hope of getting him in the net...if the hooks catch the bag...you are done!!!! With the boat stopped the bag hangs down and if you do mess up and the hooks catch the bag you can gently pull the fish towards you and slip the hoop under him...not pretty but a save none the less. When the boat is out of gear you want the stern facing the wind with the fish out back....this keeps all the antennas radar arch etc out of the way....once you get the boat facing in this orientation it will stay that way without having to fuss with it. If I'm close to shore and being pushed towards shore by wind and current I will put the kicker in reverse and give it enough gas to more or less hold position.

With the boat stopped the bag hangs down and if you do mess up and the hooks catch the bag you can gently pull the fish towards you and slip the hoop under him...

This works well, especially if solo.
I keep it in gear until I'm away from other boats and then do exactly what you describe.

Lots of variables here. Going with the tide or against, calm or windy ...
But basically keep it in gear until fish is under control and boat positioned. Slow down and work towards getting into neutral as soon as possible. Most important is to communicate with the guy playing the fish. Pisses me off when someone slams it in neutral before you are ready and line goes slack.

Way worse when the people behind you aren't paying attention and you are forced to turn and run after your fish....seldom do I get these fish now with barbless hooks because the person on the rod will get some slack...no way to avoid it. Its that or just watch them run over it and loose everything to a break off.

blindmonkey, this is where the great guide's/skippers shine; handling the boat with a fish on. A big salmon can peel-off 200 yds+ in seconds - has happened to me twice & we lost both. If there are other boats close-by, their first clue that you have a fish on (if they happen to be capable of getting a clue) will be that your boat has stopped & is pointed in some other direction than the tack you were on. In both cases of the lost fish it was evident early in the fight that these were well over 40. Boat was stopped ASAP & keeping pressure on the fish was not an issue. So, you need to keep pressure on the fish & let any close-by boats know you need some room. Most common situation is that other boats are not an issue, motor is in gear (if possible at a reduced speed) & the motor is in forward/neutral/reverse so that the fish can be played/landed off the beam amidship; with some thoughtful steering as needed.

From my experience, the key to consistently getting the most out of the bite is to not only have prerigged baits on flashers ready to snap on immediately after you land a fish, but also to get back onto that spot from the correct direction ASAP. I learned from watching schooling gamefish from underwater while diving in the Caribbean and SE Asia that schools sitting on structure or a tidal rip will often be concentrated very tightly, with no other fish for miles of coast. Nevertheless, a troller will come along, hook a fish, land or lose it, and then troll merrily away into the fish desert. The few skippers who had the sense to circle back over the hot spot while the bite lasted were the highliners by far.

Back