Keeping prawn traps out in Saanich inlet now that commercial prawning is open

smokedvw

Hey,

I'm just curious has anyone run into issues keeping there traps out during the time commercial prawners open? I've had my lines cut and retired a few years back but I was out deep where they prawn so I don't do that anymore.

Thank you

Hey,

I'm just curious has anyone run into issues keeping there traps out during the time commercial prawners open? I've had my lines cut and retired a few years back but I was out deep where they prawn so I don't do that anymore.

Thank you
When the commercial strings are set they run a course over the prime grounds and don't care whats in their way . Often setting over top of you so often you cannot retrieve your gear for a few days as it is held down by the weight of a multi trap string. Personally I now avoid this time. I now won't fish prawns till sept when they recover.

I planned to pull everything but have two groups of friends and kids that want to go out so I figured I'd leave them one more week.

I see that now. I thought I looked at it the other week and didn't see anything. I wonder if I'll have issues leaving them out from last week until next Wednesday.

Thank you
You might have the DFO removing them, this has happened before on closures. Get them out or you could not just lose your gear but rather have a hefty fine as well. So long as your name is on the floats.

If by chance your out, I wouldn’t put back in for a few months. Not to say the commercial guys will purposely harm your gear, but I suspect your catch rate to drop 80% and you do risk them dropping on top your gear and if they do happen to tangle your gear they may not be kind.

I have pulled at least a dozen or more “ lost, cut off or stolen” sets of prawn gear up that have some how came tangled in my gear over the years.

I leave mine down 2-3 days once I find a decent spot.
Interesting. When fishing the Inlet I usually use a 90 minute soak, anything longer and I seem to end up with octopus or crabs feeding on the Prawns. Maybe they eat their fill and move on?

Interesting. When fishing the Inlet I usually use a 90 minute soak, anything longer and I seem to end up with octopus or crabs feeding on the Prawns. Maybe they eat their fill and move on?
I think it depends where you are. There are spots I have been where you are almost guaranteed an overnight will have octopus or 2 nights.

I do not think they are ever leaving ;). They keep eating and eating from what I have ever seen. We had 1 in the last 4-5 times this season but other seasons I have had them in every trap over night.

I found I never did well on the quick soaks. I tried a few times, had friends say they got the most that way. I find that for me once I find a good spot its easier just to come every other day or every 3rd and seems like the amounts are the same. I would be curious if you get more in that 2nd/3rd day vs a single over night. Do the prawns continue to come essentially or not. I do find if a predator gets in there they will not come and its easy to see as one trap with a predator may have a few and the other has way more. Our best pulls this year were after 2-3 days.

Cool brochure

I think it depends where you are. There are spots I have been where you are almost guaranteed an overnight will have octopus or 2 nights.

I do not think they are ever leaving ;). They keep eating and eating from what I have ever seen. We had 1 in the last 4-5 times this season but other seasons I have had them in every trap over night.

I found I never did well on the quick soaks. I tried a few times, had friends say they got the most that way. I find that for me once I find a good spot its easier just to come every other day or every 3rd and seems like the amounts are the same. I would be curious if you get more in that 2nd/3rd day vs a single over night. Do the prawns continue to come essentially or not. I do find if a predator gets in there they will not come and its easy to see as one trap with a predator may have a few and the other has way more. Our best pulls this year were after 2-3 days.

Cool brochure
The other thing to consider is mesh size. Some of my Northern traps have huge mesh, (it's like 1 inch) and get less prawns down here but what they do get is really good size. if you fish a reasonable mesh size like the round style there is good escapement for the smalls, the prawns keep coming but only the larger ones stay. I've noticed recently some of the square metal traps have a very small mesh and rape everything with no escapement. Some would say these traps fish better over a shorter period as the numbers are up but realistically they just keep the smalls.

The other thing to consider is mesh size. Some of my Northern traps have huge mesh, (it's like 1 inch) and get less prawns down here but what they do get is really good size. if you fish a reasonable mesh size like the round style there is good escapement for the smalls, the prawns keep coming but only the larger ones stay. I've noticed recently some of the square metal traps have a very small mesh and rape everything with no escapement. Some would say these traps fish better over a shorter period as the numbers are up but realistically they just keep the smalls.
I use those metal traps but always put the small ones back. I have never done well with the larger mesh type traps. I tried a few and they had way less even after putting small one back.

i cut out larger escape holes around the sides. seems to weed out the ridiculous amount of smalls i was getting with the square traps.

Back