Kayak fishing near Port MacNeil

SkeenaSlayer

Does anyone have any suggestions for good kayak fishing areas near Port MacNeil? Camping at Cluxuwe for a few days and have the kayak, wondering if there is a spot to troll for springs. Probably will head to the backside of Malcolm one day. Any advice is appreciated!

Hey, some good fishing to be had there for sure in there. Couple rca’s to look out for and it can get nasty between pulteney point and cluxewe so be mindful of that. I don’t if there’s much point trying for salmon before you hit the backside of Malcom, not really the right features. Off the back side there might be some action. Are you only interested in salmon? There are some other species of opportunity in that area which can be caught with other methods.

Thanks for the info! I’d be happy to fish for other species - I just enjoy trolling for springs, so prefer that. But I have a setup to jig for halibut too, as I’ve heard that sometimes they come in close to the Cluxuwe River.
Any launch spots to suggest on the McNeill side other than Cluxuwe where one might troll for salmon or get into other things?

Hey, some good fishing to be had there for sure in there. Couple rca’s to look out for and it can get nasty between pulteney point and cluxewe so be mindful of that. I don’t if there’s much point trying for salmon before you hit the backside of Malcom, not really the right features. Off the back side there might be some action. Are you only interested in salmon? There are some other species of opportunity in that area which can be caught with other methods.

You don't have to go far. Always see lots of boats trolling that stretch between Cluxuwe and the entrance to Port McNeil harbour.

The back side of Malcolm is good fishing, but a long haul for a kayak from Cluxewe, with a risk of a specially nasty return trip if the northwest blows up, which it can do very quickly -- I've experienced it going from calm to NW 20-30 with 4' whitecaps in half an hour -- in my open 16'. Not even fun in the 23. The campground at Bere Pt on Malcolm puts you right there - cartoppers and kayaks launch there often - bring potable water.

I agree with CBsqrd - the stretch from Lady Ellen to Ledge Pt is a steady producer for springs, and right off Cluxewe can be hot for coho [the local guide took his grandkids there last year]. Halibut are caught there, too, as well as out at the Kelp Patch [off the top of Malcolm Island] and across to Malcolm Pt. North towards Port Hardy airport is known for chicken halibut, and would be a much easier paddle back if it blows up.

Have fun, and tell us how it goes! I'll be there next week.

Last edited:
Lady Ellen to Ledge in a couple weeks will be great as the Nimpkish fish are starting to run by.
Right out in front of the Clux will produce some coho and pinks and the odd spring, plus some good hali and sole fishing.
Bere Point and Malcom Pt will be good as well. Pack up the kayak, take the ferry to Malcom and drive to Bere Pt campground and launch from there to access those two points.

Just watch as the currents can really run through there and create a good rip. It can be tough to stay on station. Pay attention to tides/currents and watch out for cruise ships running between the island and Malcom Island.

Good luck

Cheers

SS

Thanks for the advice, folks. Just got back from a few days up there. Fished the backside of Malcolm Island one day mid last week (took the ferry - no way was I going to paddle from Cluxewe). There were lots of boats fishing and a fair number of pinks showing. I managed to get a pink while trolling, but no coho or springs. Other boats seemed to be getting pinks and not much else.

Fished in front of Cluxewe, trolling mostly. No pinks were showing until Friday, when I had to leave. I didn't get so much as a bite.

Also fished around Port Hardy and had my best luck. Launched at Storeys Beach with the intent of trying for halibut behind Shell Island or near the airport. Instead, I found myself in a huge, thick bait ball just on the south side of Shell Island. I only had my halibut setup (stupid!), but I happened to have a Lil Nib jig, so I threw that on and jigged. Hooked up multiple times with what were certainly springs. Had an amazing spring on, awesome fight - lasted at least 10 minutes - lots of jumps, rolls and head shakes. Had it to the boat, under the boat, around the boat... finally had it close enough to land and it shook the hook. The fish won that one and deserved it. Anyway, it was a blast. Good trip.

Back