kayak fishing 2015

While using the miragedrive, I use a large deep six with a 8" or 9" flasher, and a small hoochie, spoon, or herring with ok success. If your not in shape it can wear you out pretty good. They make a set of "Turbo Fins" that you can order that are about 25% more efficient. I'm looking into them and will hopefully be reviewing a set before this season ends. I haven't been out on the kayak for a couple months now due to work, but I'll be heading out to flea or Gordon beach hopefully next Monday if anybody is heading out that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi mantraguy, when I fish Orveas bay, most of the boats are going faster than me. I paddle and keep it simple (KISS its my mantra) I need to slow down so the business end of things sinks down to the 60 foot area. i use lots of speed variation to try different depths, often I am travelling at 1/2 to 2/3 the speed of the boats. I often wonder if this affects my fish catching consistency, many times boats around are catching and I get nothing, using basically the same gear (anchovy). Kind of a modified mooching technique. Its frustrating when the fish are deep. Been using the kite tail this year with pretty good success, no more than a one pound weight.
sometimes I'll use 12 oz banana weight with a herring in the teaser head or cut plug and no flasher to get a bit deeper. 40-60 feet has been quite productive for me this year.
Zfish.

Out to Otter again for the evening flood. 3 wild Coho from maybe 4-8 lbs. Looking forward to getting out after Labour Day is over...last year pretty much had the place to myself by the end of Sept with lots of Coho around.

Mantraguy: I primarily use a trolling motor stocked with my yak (Ocean Kayak Torque) though I have paddled it around with the downrigger as well which was very tough when the current was up! I found a few things reduced the drag with the DR: using only a 4# ball, switching from cable to 65# braid on the DR line, and using the Kite-tail which is much less drag than even a small standard-shaped flasher. I've been finding this summer that even though I travel quite a bit slower than the powerboats around I've been able to get my share of Springs, Pinks and a half dozen Coho in 9 trips so far. If you're out Sooke way to fish in the kayak drop me a line and I can lend you the DR and a Kite-tail to test out.

Out to Otter again for the evening flood. 3 wild Coho from maybe 4-8 lbs. Looking forward to getting out after Labour Day is over...last year pretty much had the place to myself by the end of Sept with lots of Coho around.

Mantraguy: I primarily use a trolling motor stocked with my yak (Ocean Kayak Torque) though I have paddled it around with the downrigger as well which was very tough when the current was up! I found a few things reduced the drag with the DR: using only a 4# ball, switching from cable to 65# braid on the DR line, and using the Kite-tail which is much less drag than even a small standard-shaped flasher. I've been finding this summer that even though I travel quite a bit slower than the powerboats around I've been able to get my share of Springs, Pinks and a half dozen Coho in 9 trips so far. If you're out Sooke way to fish in the kayak drop me a line and I can lend you the DR and a Kite-tail to test out.
I had a great day fishing Otter on a mid October Saturday last year being the only yak or boat out there. Big northerns right on top out in 400 ft of water.
T2

Launched at the g-spot yesterday, found some satisfaction right on the tide line; low teen spring, mid morning, 30 pulls green/gold kite tail, green frog teaser/anchovy. Sunrise till 10:30. Not much other action around me.

Launched at the g-spot yesterday, found some satisfaction right on the tide line; low teen spring, mid morning, 30 pulls green/gold kite tail, green frog teaser/anchovy. Sunrise till 10:30. Not much other action around me.
Nice work! I'm going to try muir tomorrow.
T2

Launched at Otter and did a pass or 2 then went down to Muir. A couple of shaker springs was it for me but it felt good to be out in the yak on such a great day. I pedalled for the first couple of hours until the flood built too much, then I used my electric drive as there was no wind to use the sail.
T2

who here is in the Nanaimo Area? id love to go out with someone for a change. just started fishing in my Yak this spring and want to have some pointers.

I'm in Nanaimo. I usually head out from the Charlaine (North Nanaimo) boat ramp to either Neck Point or the Five Fingers area, but have had limited success this year with salmon. The last few times out I've gone out to French Creek (near Qualicum) or Nuttal Bay near Nanoose, and I'm experimenting a bit more with fishing from my sea kayak instead of my fishing kayak, as it's much faster to get anywhere and I can fish in higher wind (it always seems to be windy up here). We should get together some time and compare notes! I'd like to head out to Entrance Island some time to try for lingcod. I'm available most days if there's a low-wind day you'd like to head out for a while.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I just have a fishing rig and id be game for hunting some Cod or rock fish (not a big salmon fan) so ya, if the weather is good Id love to head out (going that far Id like some company as well )

I just have a fishing rig and id be game for hunting some Cod or rock fish (not a big salmon fan) so ya, if the weather is good Id love to head out (going that far Id like some company as well )

Went out with my friend on the weekend and we got our limit of Greenling and Rock fish. Caught around 12 Lingcod but they were all undersized.

Quick update, ended up getting a great deal on a Perception Tribe tandem kayak.s-l1000.jpg
I'll spend the winter now gathering equipment to outfit it as a light duty fishing rig.
At this point nothing crazy. I just want to be able to head out, drop the crab trap and maybe jig for cod.
Look forward to meeting some fellow kayakers next year.
Cheers

Quick update, ended up getting a great deal on a Perception Tribe tandem kayak.View attachment 20259
I'll spend the winter now gathering equipment to outfit it as a light duty fishing rig.
At this point nothing crazy. I just want to be able to head out, drop the crab trap and maybe jig for cod.
Look forward to meeting some fellow kayakers next year.
Cheers
Looks good, Kinetic. See you next season.
T2

am I a little nuts to go out in winter here?? I do have a sin in not sit on so a little warmer in bad weather.
No, I fish in the winter. Winter springs are a little more difficult to troll for because they're usually down deeper but the weather doesn't stop me. I have a drysuit and watch the forecast carefully.
T2

I try to get out all winter. Not so much fishing, as the wind up here makes that difficult sometimes, but at least getting out on the water. In Victoria I probably paddled more in winter than in summer - winter southeasterlies countering an ebb current made for some great play conditions in Baynes, Race Rocks and East Sooke.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Could one drive near and launch a kayak at woods nose beach? I see a bit of development there on google maps. Upcoming Weather looks great for a fishing paddle to east point and botanical beach.

im heading out Sunday morning if someone wants to come out with me, thinking of heading out from cedar boat ramp or maybe despatcher bay and around Newcastle.

Back