Jughead new!

Just back from Winter harbour and had Sterling results from extra large Jugheads for ling and Hali. Used 8 inch mature herring from this years spawning- let the front hook dangle -threaded another large hook loosely through the herring and then stuck it out the side much like the rear hook on a cutplug. Made sure the line wasn't tight so that the herring could "swim " like the jug is meant to do. Trolled very slowly keeping contact to 5 ft or so above bottom-It was without a doubt the best action I have ever had in bottom fishing-not the biggest but the most action. We ran out of herring!!! I had used this same Juggie with the double hook set-up with squid tentacles in Baja with good results-so had salmon belly strip for bait-cut a strip about 9 inches long to fit in the Juggie and all hell broke loose-we released 2 large Springs (20 ish) we were limited. Got lots of lings and a limit of hali's all in 160 ft of water from Lippy point in a slow troll to the lighthouse. It was not without cost-a crewman decided to tell us all an amusing story we had been told many times before(probably about bananas) and wasn't paying attention to the bottom. So the lead Gods Had their tribute

Hey Guys You are the only network I have Please help an old Veteran win a new MR3. If you are on Face book please click on the following link and "like " my photo. Thanks Spring Fever

https://www.facebook.com/<wbr>jugheadshaker/photos/a.<wbr>389736011166580.1073741827.<wbr>389731304500384/<wbr>411320645674783/?type=1

Attachments

• DSC01344.jpg
    DSC01344.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 526
  • DSC01343.jpg
    DSC01343.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 528
Its been a couple of weeks since I first tried the Jughead off of Tofino.
I've needed time to come to terms with the experience.

I typically run 4 rods. Usually 1 with Bait, 1 with 'money hootchie', a spoon, and then something new.

So, I got my first 3 rods down and pulled out Jughead. Three of us out on the deck. Rigged it up, and put the lure in the water to see the action.
I had it on a new rod, a Fetha-styx rod I just received in replacement for a rod that broke first time I put it in the rigger, and was thinking I hope this rod survives its first trip down on the rigger. Hadn't used a Fetha-Styx yet.

The Jughead looked interesting swimming the bait in the water.
Set the rod down.
Turned and clipped the next clip on wire, and as I turn back with the clip in my hand I look at the lure and a big coho takes the Jughead hard off the surface, snatching my new rod and the MR3 on it out the back of the boat like a rocket.
And I stood there dumbfounded with the clip in my hand, and the two others on the back of the boat shocked.
My last memory was of the fading sparkle of sunlight off the Gold MR3 as it sunk to the depths.

I haven't rigged up a Jughead since. I'm still a little traumatized.

The first one lasted all of 20 seconds in the water before it got taken.

I'm sure I'll work up the nerve to put another one in the water sometime this summer.

My last memory was of the fading sparkle of sunlight off the Gold MR3 as it sunk to the depths.

Man, you should win the Jughead contest for the new MR3 just out of pity with that story.

I've been trying the jugs out at Malcolm Island for a few days. Had a hard time finding a spring (lost two good ones this morning, but using an anchovy special). Tried big ones and medium ones, for salmon and halis. Pinks and coho don't seem to care what I run. But I haven't been able to take any on the hoochy/jug without flasher.

Similar story with halis. Just can't find them this trip. But I did drop down a big salmon belly in a jughead, and it swam well. Took a big coho that way, followed by a pink. So I guess they thought it looked pretty good too.

One thing I've noticed is the 7" herring seem to pull to one side or spin, rather than swimming. Not sure how to fix that.

Also, I left a glow jug sitting on the dash, where I leave lots of gear. It seems to have burned in the sun. It has turned almost black, and it doesn't glow any more. Anyone else see this happening?

My small green glow juggies dont seem to glow charged them with a flashlight then turned out the lights and nothing.also they really stink like fresh glue I think thats why I hav yet to run them

RIP MR3 :( Sorry for your loss.

The first one lasted all of 20 seconds in the water before it got taken.

I'm sure I'll work up the nerve to put another one in the water sometime this summer.

Fishtank
U have to charge them with a bright led light or halogen....as far as the smell u simply have to wash them in soapy water or better yet coat them in smelly jelly..
In no time you will have some hits..
just my experience and 2 cents
Fish On

Fished bamfield last week and the jughead on a white hootchie was by far the best producer. It got the attention of a small coho in the first half minute of the trip! Jughead steadily produced the most fish and the largest fish of the trip 24lb spring.
vy5a6apu.jpg

Nice work.. hope all these Slabs coming in on Jughead makes people realize just how effective the Jughead Shaker really is..!

I've tried the factory-rigged jughead with an anchovy fished opposite a Rhys Davis teaser on West Coast Haida Gwaii three different days in the last two weeks. At identical depths using anchovies from the same brine, the Rhys Davis has embarrassed the jughead, outfishing it about 3 to 1 for both springs and coho. The fishing has been a little scratchy, so it's hard to give the jughead more than an hour when it's being so badly outproduced by not only the Davis teaser, but also by Coyote spoons and hoochies. It barely catches any coho when the coho are an unwanted bait-stealing nuisance, and it hasn't caught a spring above 14 pounds, while the Rhys Davis got us several in the mid-20's, and one 30 pounder.

So far, I can't see what any of the fuss is about.

Last edited by a moderator:
... using anchovies from the same brine, the Rhys Davis has embarrassed the jughead, outfishing it about 3 to 1 for both springs and coho.

That's your issue right there-Jugheads are meant to be fished with unbrined bait.

Next time something isn't working try reading the instructions.

That's your issue right there-Jugheads are meant to be fished with unbrined bait.

Next time something isn't working try reading the instructions.

Good Point Dogbreath.
Another thing, the first time anyone used a teaser, did you just toothpick the bait and throw it over the side and expect it to be the "be-all end-all? If so then I'd bet you prob wouldn't speak too highly of teasers either.
The point is, an experienced fisher will try his own ideas and eventually figure out what config works for his style of fishing.
Personally, I would gladly jump in the boat with ya Karlo. You run teasers and I'll run Jugs bud. Small wagers on the first, the biggest and the most, just to add some fun :)

I try very hard not to comment or post because it seems that when I or someone does, someone else pipes in and bashes Jughead. I don't understand why the haters. I really don't get it. Just a local guy busting his butt, following his dream. Nothing more, nothing less. If someone can't catch fish with Jughead, they're doing something wrong.
I'll pimp out one photo recently sent in from the Charlottes...

Caught at Haida Gwai couple weeks ago. UV White Jughead and Hoochie combo ...guess the weight.

38 lb. Spring.jpg

The config I was using in Ukee. Which outfished everything by large margins. 3/0 at the bead, 1/0 Gammy stinger thru the bait and hang. No brine, no brine, no brine.

Chovy 2.jpg
Yes, the hook was de-barbed before use.

Keep Your Rod Tip Up!

I've tried the factory-rigged jughead with an anchovy fished opposite a Rhys Davis teaser on West Coast Haida Gwaii three different days in the last two weeks. At identical depths using anchovies from the same brine, the Rhys Davis has embarrassed the jughead, outfishing it about 3 to 1 for both springs and coho. The fishing has been a little scratchy, so it's hard to give the jughead more than an hour when it's being so badly outproduced by not only the Davis teaser, but also by Coyote spoons and hoochies. It barely catches any coho when the coho are an unwanted bait-stealing nuisance, and it hasn't caught a spring above 14 pounds, while the Rhys Davis got us several in the mid-20's, and one 30 pounder.

Karlo,

First I have to agree with Dogbreath, you really should have read the instructions.

I have used JugHeads since they came out, and consider myself somewhat of an expert on them and how to use them effectively. I have even taken them with me our my annual trips up north and they out fished everything and everyone else at the lodge.

Now while JugHead's work great with Anchovies or Herring, they are also fantastic with Hoochies and Squid Imitations without using a flasher in the clear water up north. We have been catching Springs (20-28lbs) out front of the North Arm of the Fraser River in Vancouver for the past month with JugHeads, (I posted a pic from two days ago in the fishing reports thread) and this is hardly the Chinook or Coho Highway that Haida Gwaii is.

Maybe, just maybe, before passing judgement on the Jughead that you used for 3 days and maybe 3 hours in Haida Gwaii, you might want to actually try it in other combinations and actually give the lure a chance. Especially when you didn't read the simple instructions provided with the lure.

Cheers.

I have some jugheads I haven't tried yet but will soon. looking at the instructions I was leery of the bait setup with the swivel and hook hanging loose. I like the look of this set up above much better and am glad to hear it works. one question I have on it is on the 1st hook, now obviously in this pic the hook is free, now looking at the pic in the instructions on the website, that 1st hook looks to be imbedded in the anchovie? is this the case or is it just the angle of the pic on the website???

I bought 3 medium Jugheads yesterday.

For hoochies.

I rigged them Exactly like it says on the package. (for a hoochy))

But when I ran them...it seemed the hoochy was pretty loose in the head......and the head was spinning by itself.....

If I can ever dial these things in...I might be liking them a lot more......

So off they came ....and I ran other lures instead.

...For hoochies...I rigged them Exactly like it says on the package. (for a hoochy))...when I ran them...it seemed the hoochy was pretty loose in the head......and the head was spinning by itself......
I always use a smaller gum pucky or a few beads so the head of the Hootchie jams into the Jughead no spinning and no pinning with toothpicks either.

i was just tying some up and did exactly that with the gum pucky, mine are all mediums too, think i'll pick up some smalls as i want to try some mp and mb's for sockeye with them. thinking maybe you have to troll too fast for sockeye to get the proper action on them though. i've had good success with hoochies on the ross swimmer tails and the ross square heads fishing without flashers, particularly over thrasher way in the clearer water. Dave Korsch used to use that set up too over there at times years ago.

I bought 3 medium Jugheads yesterday.

For hoochies.

I rigged them Exactly like it says on the package. (for a hoochy))

But when I ran them...it seemed the hoochy was pretty loose in the head......and the head was spinning by itself.....

If I can ever dial these things in...I might be liking them a lot more......

So off they came ....and I ran other lures instead.

Seafever,

Like Dogbreath I use a rubber gum pucky in the head! It stays tight in the Juggie once the hoochy is pulled tight into the head. I also recommend adding a mylar skirt for some extra flash.

Cheers.

Back