Jigging with braided line.

scott craven

When jigging with braided line, I continually get line wrapped around the rod tip.
I've tried pointing the rod tip down after very drop
Anybody got any tips to avoid it ?

I have not had that happen with braid, but it has happened with mono top shot on braid.
I found that I was not loading the reel correctly and it induced twist into the line.

I should say that I was loading line onto the reel from the roll of line in a sloppy manner.

I think your rod may be to stiff for jigging. A lighter rod will load up & do most the work for ya. Also the lighter rods take less energy to jig & give more action. I have found stiff (broom sticks) will have this problem.

I think your rod may be to stiff for jigging. A lighter rod will load up & do most the work for ya. Also the lighter rods take less energy to jig & give more action. I have found stiff (broom sticks) will have this problem.
Unless you're fishing 5lb at 2000' of course ;)

I’ve had this issue, particularly w/ the “slow lift, quick drop” method that gets the jig to flutter properly. What I do is add a little sideways movement of the rod tip (towards the breeze if there is one, otherwise away from the angle of line to bottom) on the drop. So, kinda straight up lift and then purposefully move the tip to either the left or right 10-12” as you drop (kinda like drawing a “D” with your rod tip, rather than straight up and down). It should make sense when you do it and, when you get in a good rhythm, it completely eliminates the annoying line catching the tip (and potential tip snap waiting to happen).

Cheers!

Ukee

I’ve had this issue, particularly w/ the “slow lift, quick drop” method that gets the jig to flutter properly. What I do is add a little sideways movement of the rod tip (towards the breeze if there is one, otherwise away from the angle of line to bottom) on the drop. So, kinda straight up lift and then purposefully move the tip to either the left or right 10-12” as you drop (kinda like drawing a “D” with your rod tip, rather than straight up and down). It should make sense when you do it and, when you get in a good rhythm, it completely eliminates the annoying line catching the tip (and potential tip snap waiting to happen).

Cheers!

Ukee

This is kind of how I do it too. I flick the line to the side as I drop the line to let the jig flutter down, kind of the same motion like mending a fly line when stream fishing with fly gear. But I use mono, not braid.

You're using a baitcasting reel w that set-up, Scott?

The quick flip at the beginning of the drop seams to stop that. At least for me, does take some adjusting/learning and or behavior change when switching to braid. But the sensitivity, instant hook setting bonuses far out weigh any negative points. Add a small outward flip at the beginning of drop and all is good.

HM

Change the tip top to one where the side braces go to the top of the guide ring. The line will then just slip over the top. Have a look at rodbuildersupplies, I think he is out in Sannich

I am with @ILHG on this one.
I started jigging with braid and picked up a Shimano Trevala like @Waterwolf2230 suggested.
I have no special action or talent and this does not happen while jigging, so it must be the rod.

Now, if I could only concentrate when putting top shot on my reel, maybe this won't happen when I'm trolling!

Back