Jet Boat on the Stamp/Somass

Bambam

Hello Everyone...

I am just wondering if I can fish the Stamp and Somass, both for steelhead and salmon out of my jet sled this winter and fall. I see that there are guide boats and a few locals that run it, and I see there is a 10hp restriction. I see big jets on it all the time however. When I called the Conservation Officer in Port Alberni, he had no idea and said that it wasn't his jurisdiction however the DFO regs don't say anything about this restriction?

Do I just go ahead and fish it ? Or is it a guide only monopoly on a fishery that is open to the public, funded by the public and not just a private fishery for guide companies?

Let me know

bambam

It is a guide only monopoly on paper but I have never heard of anyone getting busted (maybe somebody else can chime in who has more info). The guides will beak at you though as they feel entitled to the monopoly that we pay for ( experienced that first hand a few years ago ).

Last edited:
Hello Everyone...

I am just wondering if I can fish the Stamp and Somass, both for steelhead and salmon out of my jet sled this winter and fall. I see that there are guide boats and a few locals that run it, and I see there is a 10hp restriction. I see big jets on it all the time however. When I called the Conservation Officer in Port Alberni, he had no idea and said that it wasn't his jurisdiction however the DFO regs don't say anything about this restriction?

Do I just go ahead and fish it ? Or is it a guide only monopoly on a fishery that is open to the public, funded by the public and not just a private fishery for guide companies?

Let me know

bambam
I suggest you contact the DFO directly but do it in Port Alberni. I am pretty sure you will only get a vague answer as it is a bit of local politics.
It'll be a case of they have always been there, some folklore about David Murphy winning a court case in the past about having the right to use jet boats in order for his livelihood (something like that).
But you are right, about the max 9.9hp rule, and nowhere does it say guides are exempt.
I think you''ll find that you won't get very far. Anyway, this subject has been brought up in the past, so it's a bit like flogging a dead horse.
On a personal note, I hope you don't bring your jet boat because it is a small river and there is enough abuse from boat bank erosion,boats running over spawning grounds etc.
In short, there should be no jet boats allowed but it ain't gonna happen, but good luck.

I suggest you contact the DFO directly but do it in Port Alberni. I am pretty sure you will only get a vague answer as it is a bit of local politics.
It'll be a case of they have always been there, some folklore about David Murphy winning a court case in the past about having the right to use jet boats in order for his livelihood (something like that).
But you are right, about the max 9.9hp rule, and nowhere does it say guides are exempt.
I think you''ll find that you won't get very far. Anyway, this subject has been brought up in the past, so it's a bit like flogging a dead horse.
On a personal note, I hope you don't bring your jet boat because it is a small river and there is enough abuse from boat bank erosion,boats running over spawning grounds etc.
In short, there should be no jet boats allowed but it ain't gonna happen, but good luck.
There have been jet boats running this system for many years. If you think the SSS system is too small for jet boats then I guess they should be banned on all of Vancouver Island and a good chunk of the mainland. Personally I would like to see them banned too but it has nothing to do with the size of the river. David Murphy did win his case with supporting testimony from MOE at the time, no folklore involved. All the johnny come lately guides are just riding on Murphys coat tails.
I don't know why you would contact DFO, the horsepower bit is a transport Canada thing with a guides only " I am making a living" loophole.
I hope you catch a fish or two if you decide to go. The fishing by all accounts is **** poor.

There have been jet boats running this system for many years. If you think the SSS system is too small for jet boats then I guess they should be banned on all of Vancouver Island and a good chunk of the mainland. Personally I would like to see them banned too but it has nothing to do with the size of the river. David Murphy did win his case with supporting testimony from MOE at the time, no folklore involved. All the johnny come lately guides are just riding on Murphys coat tails.
I don't know why you would contact DFO, the horsepower bit is a transport Canada thing with a guides only " I am making a living" loophole.
I hope you catch a fish or two if you decide to go. The fishing by all accounts is **** poor.
It does have a lot to do with the size of the river.
I live on the river with water front and when the jet boats go by there is considerable wake coming from the boats and that wash has no time to dissipate the energy before it hits the bank.
I have talked to the guides on occasion in the past about speed but that was met with denial.
I was once told to put the complaint about speed to Transportation Canada ,which I did ,and the question asked was ‘how fast was he going?’ As if I am standing at the riverside with a speed gun.
Admittedly,the biggest offender has gone but the issues with jet boats are still there.
I remember talking to the guy who owns a big chunk of property at the confluence and he told me that he has seen over the years bank erosion contributed to boat wash.
Remember these guys also run whether the water is high or low.
As far as D.Murphy is concerned winning his case when I asked the DFO about that I was told that it was before his time,hence the folklore as I haven’t met any one in authority who has said yes,I remember.
Anyway,as I said earlier,it’s a subject that gets rehashed once in a while but not really going anywhere.

Last edited:
Ya you prob would need evidence, pennel. But private citizens have forced the public prosecution branch to lay charges in the past. It can be done if you have verifiable evidence that the Crown Attorney thinks will stand up in court. It has been done before...
It does have a lot to do with the size of the river.
I live on the river with water front and when the jet boats go by there is considerable wake coming from the boats and that wash has no time to dissipate the energy before it hits the bank.
I have talked to the guides on occasion in the past about speed but that was met with denial.
I was once told to put the complaint about speed to Transportation Canada ,which I did ,and the question asked was ‘how fast was he going?’ As if I am standing at the riverside with a speed gun.
Admittedly,the biggest offender has gone but the issues with jet boats are still there.
I remember talking to the guy who owns a big chunk of property at the confluence and he told me that he has seen over the years bank erosion contributed to boat wash.
Remember these guys also run whether the water is high or low.
As far as D.Murphy is concerned winning his case when I asked the DFO about that I was told that it was before his time,hence the folklore as I haven’t met any one in authority who has said yes,I remember.
Anyway,as I said earlier,it’s a subject that gets rehashed once in a while but not really going anywhere.

this has been highly debated for years on here it comes up multiple times a year.

here is a past thread that's not a bad debate about it

another thread w info:

Hello Everyone...

Let me know

bambam
Well you could just follow the rules and use a 9.9hp engine. That would be the best thing to do. Then you wouldn't have to worry about getting fined or not. Better yet, you can show others how to do the right thing. Maybe some of the goons running 140 hp engines could take a page from your book! Good luck fishing if you decide to go. It's unfortunately been the slowest season that I can remember on the stamp.
Pastafarian

Back