Jervis/Prince Louisa inlet weather/wind/waves?

jcon12

Hi all,

We have a cabin booked at pender harbour for June 18 (4 days) and plan on spending 1 day up jervis inlet (fish a bit) then boat to the north end of prince louisa inlet.

I will potentially be taking up our smaller boat (17' arima) and wondering if there is much 'weather' to worry about up there? I have the option to take our Grady but I'll have to run it from Vancouver rather than trailer/ferry like the smaller boat.

Does this inlet experience much weather or am i mostly just watching out for the tide/current at malibu?

thanks!

Hi all,

We have a cabin booked at pender harbour for June 18 (4 days) and plan on spending 1 day up jervis inlet (fish a bit) then boat to the north end of prince louisa inlet.

I will potentially be taking up our smaller boat (17' arima) and wondering if there is much 'weather' to worry about up there? I have the option to take our Grady but I'll have to run it from Vancouver rather than trailer/ferry like the smaller boat.

Does this inlet experience much weather or am i mostly just watching out for the tide/current at malibu?

thanks!
I have been to PLI twice in the last few years. Both times end of August and weather was spectacular. Water was flat calm to a bit of chop. Its pretty protected and has 3 or 4 bends in the inlet so conditions can change just around the corner. There where quite a few small boats taking day trips up there. Just watch Malibu rapids. If you can, try and time it for a half hour before or after slack. Going into the current is much easier. Stay mid channel and announce yourself coming through on VHF Channel 16. We saw smaller boats going through at all times. Just the larger trawlers and sailboats waited for slack. Its a magical place. Definitely worth the trip up.

Attachments

• IMG_1622.JPG
    IMG_1622.JPG
    353.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1736.JPG
    IMG_1736.JPG
    364.7 KB · Views: 75
If a big strong summer high sets up over the Interior, there will be outflow winds that blow out to the coast, and the inlets funnel the wind, strengthening it more. Jervis can be pretty snotty in the afternoons. As has been said, there are several changes of direction along its length so the water conditions can change quickly.

Malibu is normally not problem for a fast boat but you can't see the other end as you enter, hence the advice to call out on 16 before making your run.

In good summer weather, Sly_Karma is right, but they are actually "inflows" and can get pretty bad by the last corner near Patrick Point. 4-5 ft.

When I went up it was the flattest ride I've ever had both ways. After I navigated the rapids I was pissed that I ever gave it any concern at all. Good to radio ahead but we hit that thing mid swing with no problems.

It can blow up like Howe Sound not as frequently but it can get nasty keep an eye on the winds and youll be fine we used to run a 16 foot aluminum up thrre when i was a kid and ive navigated it on many occasions with my 25’ ciera as i have family at Britton river

Ya just watch for outflows, I've rarely seen much more than a 1' chop up that way in summer.

Back