It Doesn’t have to be this way, by Bob Hooton

Selective harvesting methods just seem so beneficial. It is 2020..... With all the technology we have their absolutely is better ways to do this. A little investment and a little willingness for change is all that is needed. One of those win/win type situations that blows my mind that it wasn't started years ago.

The fundamental challenge is cultural. Fraser FN's have abandoned traditional harvest methods in favour of easier and individualistic gill nets. Selective harvest methods such as fish traps require significant infrastructure investment and a community of harvesters, whereas gill nets require limited investment for return on effort/expense that is easily managed by an individual harvester. Address the barriers. Where's the impetus for change? As much as I personally support selective harvest, its unrealistic to see the shift unless there is strong impetus for change.

The fundamental challenge is cultural. Fraser FN's have abandoned traditional harvest methods in favour of easier and individualistic gill nets. Selective harvest methods such as fish traps require significant infrastructure investment and a community of harvesters, whereas gill nets require limited investment for return on effort/expense that is easily managed by an individual harvester. Address the barriers. Where's the impetus for change? As much as I personally support selective harvest, its unrealistic to see the shift unless there is strong impetus for change.

so...basically hand them the tools and bags with dollar signs on them and maybe??

but for conservation...naaaah

so...basically hand them the tools and bags with dollar signs on them and maybe??

but for conservation...naaaah
Fundamentally taking my comments out of context...address the barriers if we expect to see a change, and give the impetus for change. Impetus can come in many forms, including a government committed to actually practicing conservation and sustainable harvest. They could after all close the fishery to gill nets. Address the barriers to change.

Fundamentally taking my comments out of context...address the barriers if we expect to see a change, and give the impetus for change. Impetus can come in many forms, including a government committed to actually practicing conservation and sustainable harvest. They could after all close the fishery to gill nets. Address the barriers to change.

I very much agree. However, greed is a significant barrier to change. How does that get addressed with a group that has the country over their knee?

It’s frustrating to see these nets (ghost or otherwise) filled with unfortunate waste of fish. Context was received, just frustrated.

Thanks, appreciate you understanding the context I was speaking from. Hard to get across what you really mean in these forums...and yes, I very much share your frustration. Change could come swiftly if it became increasingly clear that gill net fisheries would be banned, and only selective harvest methodology allowed....but that will take a government committed to doing the right thing as opposed to just trying to look good.....aka, Federal Liberals.

Back