ISO 40-50hp 4 stroke

Slabbedout

Ok,

For starters I have a 16’ welded boat with a 2001 Yamaha F40. Boat was built by Aluminator and has no ratings so I am not 100% sure what the max HP I could strap on it. Current 40HP is decent but struggles a bit with 3 full size guys and a load of fish. I think a 50 would be better and a 60 might be too much

So how can I determine what is a safe amount of HP ? Can I just figure out current motor weight and stay in that range ?

Ideally I would like to stay under $ 6g and find something 10 years or newer with low hrs. Is this reasonable ? I am flexible with budget but feel much more $ and I should just look at new ? Am I totally out to lunch?

NO MERCS !! I have made up my mind and won’t be swayed, don’t need to discuss any further.

I have seen a few used that have peeked my interest but they sell fast or are just scams.

Located on South Island would be ideal

I would go with a 60. Your never going to wish you had less horsepower! often the 50's and 60's are nearly the same size/weight anyways.

I would go with a 60. Your never going to wish you had less horsepower! often the 50's and 60's are nearly the same size/weight anyways.

Yeah a new 50/60 just seems to be physically a lot larger than the 40 I have on there now

Maybe the newer ones are just larger cowling but similar weight ?

Anyone know what a Yamaha 2001 f40tlra weighs ?

I would go with an F70 if you can. The Yamaha F70 is the lightest weight 70 on the market. Its 253 lbs. The F60 is 247lbs, F50 247lbs, F40 214lbs. So if you are thinking going to F50 or F60. I would jump to F70 for the extra 6lbs in weight. Unfortunately very hard to find these motors used. As they as just awesome. F40 $8K, up to an F70 $12K for new.

I would go with an F70 if you can. The Yamaha F70 is the lightest weight 70 on the market. Its 253 lbs. The F60 is 247lbs, F50 247lbs, F40 214lbs. So if you are thinking going to F50 or F60. I would jump to F70 for the extra 6lbs in weight. Unfortunately very hard to find these motors used. As they as just awesome. F40 $8K, up to an F70 $12K for new.

The Yamaha F70 is a great motor. Same powerhead as the F50/F60 (just tuned a bit more) but the real benefit is the larger lower unit which turns a bigger prop. You get way more bite on the water and vastly better maneuvering around the dock.

A lease return would be a good bet, but it will be hard to find a good used outboard of that size in the open market.
If possible I would go new with a 60hp Mercury from Alberni Marine. They will ship anywhere or any other brand you might wish to look at. Personally I like Mercs and have owned them for over 60 years.
Great time to buy at a discounted price.
24% OFF
2024 MERCURY 60EXLPT COMMAND THRUST FOURSTROKE®
PROGRAM YEAR 2024
Availability: ONLY 1 LEFT
Condition: New
Horsepower: 60
Shaft Length: 25"
260 pounds

Last edited by a moderator:
GA Checkpoint has lots of lease returns right now.

Have any members bought lease returns from GA ? Or had experience dealing with them ?

I have been watching Facebook and used sites but anything decent seems to sell before I can check it out or is a scam.

Back