Islander MR3 drag

Island Outfitter told me to put oil on the cork and rub it all over the cork and then wipe it off. The video did not show that step. I have always done it and I think it is necessary
Yes, clean and oil the drag cork!

I just take all my reels into Pacific Angler every year and have them tune them up for me. Change the braid every second year. Throw the top shot on myself. Costs pennies and its done right.

Nothing beats these vintage MR2, this one is mint, never seen water lol, saving it for when one of my well used ones crap out, looks like it’s going to stay mint for a long time lol

Attachments

• 8CC62CE2-1FCD-4B73-8F3F-BA1274AC10D0.jpeg
    8CC62CE2-1FCD-4B73-8F3F-BA1274AC10D0.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 572C5DFB-56A6-4505-A21C-293A19717E99.jpeg
    572C5DFB-56A6-4505-A21C-293A19717E99.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 80
Island Outfitter told me to put oil on the cork and rub it all over the cork and then wipe it off. The video did not show that step. I have always done it and I think it is necessary
i was told by someone at islander not to load the teeth of the clutch brake with grease as that video shows the guy doing. doing so will make you lose your clicker

Nothing beats these vintage MR2, this one is mint, never seen water lol, saving it for when one of my well used ones crap out, looks like it’s going to stay mint for a long time lol
Very sad, I can not relate. I just bought one and its right on the water the next day. Could be a hoarding thing, unfortunately there is no cure! Lmao

Very sad, I can not relate. I just bought one and its right on the water the next day. Could be a hoarding thing, unfortunately there is no cure! Lmao
Lol you should see my shop, hoarding you say, my wife tells me to sell all that stuff and I say no way woman

Lol you should see my shop, hoarding you say, my wife tells me to sell all that stuff and I say no way woman
I would like that, if you up to a picker style show. I'll bring cash, don't tell my wife though!

What year did you get that reel? There's a good chance I engraved it before islander got their own machine.

You have to back it off a bit when setting gear so it doesn’t pull out of the clip on the drop. A little bump of the thumb and it goes full free spool. That’s annoying. Then a quarter turn or less when the gear is down sets the drag so it doesn’t creep while trolling, but at that setting it is way too tight to fight a fish. With a fish on I try to back it off a little bit but it is so touchy that a little bump of the knob and it is way to loose and I have to fiddle with it to get it right. I had a single action rookie out last weekend and he lost three in a row on that reel.

I don’t like the round knob on the Amundsen but finding the right adjustment is more predictable and it doesn’t need to be set as tight to avoid creeping. I had an abu Garcia diplomat mooching reel and the drag on that was perfect but the clutch was made out of soft aluminum so the clicker and anti reverse pawls beat it to pieces. I finally got them to warranty exchange it for a different reel after I replaced the clutch and bearings once. Maybe I expect too much out of an expensive reel.
My experience with the MR3 is the exact same, no matter what I've done with it. I've got my Amundson's dialed in, and I know how to maintain and use them. But the MR3, I have no idea why a reel of that value has a cork drag,
fb

My experience with the MR3 is the exact same, no matter what I've done with it. I've got my Amundson's dialed in, and I know how to maintain and use them. But the MR3, I have no idea why a reel of that value has a cork drag,
fb
i grew up on daiwa 175’s and that vintage of reels. when the fish runs, they surge. ( i know you know this btw) “zit zit zit.” goes the reel as the fish runs.

when an islander is working and lubed properly it’s a thing of beauty. it’s a direct payout . i’ve also experienced that with my tmx 5 and trophys
i’ve never even held an avet

To stop line creep I’ve taken a quick release clip on a 6” line and put it on my rod holder. I have strikers. The clip goes on the line near the reel. Stops line going out and releases if the fish pops it off the downrigger

actually its a precise way to get a firm hook set and still have the fish be able to peel out line.
Maybe but still an extre pain in the a… to have too, mine peel line when fish hit it, with no creep, I don’t have to over crank it to prevent creep

I haven’t had this issue with my new MR3’s. My older MR2 is bad for it but the new MR3’s are as smooth as glass.

Back