Islander MR3 drag

CatchAll

I bought my first Islander a couple weeks ago and finally got a chance to use it last weekend. The drag goes from zero to too tight with hardly any turn of the knob. The drag has to be pretty tight while trolling to prevent line creeping, but with a fish on it is difficult not to back it off too much since it is so touchy. Is this typical?

From what I recall all the MR3 drag happens in like 1/4 turn.
The Amundson and trophy etc have a couple of turns in them.
The islander drag when you have it dialled is so silky though. The Amundson is a little rougher when you’re getting tugged/head shakes.

Tell me more about this super lube. Is it grease or oil? Put some on the drag cork?

youtube islander maintenance vids. This is the stuff you want. You’ll run out of grease and can order grease on Amazon or from Home Hardware…the oil you won’t run out of as quickly.

Is it new? Regardless, watch the maintenance video from Islander and re-oil the cork with the correct product, and see if it helps.

Yeah. Brand new. Pulled it out of the box last Thursday. I guess I’ll give that a try. If that doesn’t work you’ll see in the buy/sell section and I’ll go get an Amundsen.

Yeah. Brand new. Pulled it out of the box last Thursday. I guess I’ll give that a try. If that doesn’t work you’ll see in the buy/sell section and I’ll go get an Amundsen.
Can I ask why you would want to fiddle with a drag knob any more than you need to? When I fish my friends Amundsens I find the extra turns to be awkward and unnecessary. I'm sure it's just a matter of getting used to it rather than a flaw.

Can I ask why you would want to fiddle with a drag knob any more than you need to? When I fish my friends Amundsens I find the extra turns to be awkward and unnecessary. I'm sure it's just a matter of getting used to it rather than a flaw.
You have to back it off a bit when setting gear so it doesn’t pull out of the clip on the drop. A little bump of the thumb and it goes full free spool. That’s annoying. Then a quarter turn or less when the gear is down sets the drag so it doesn’t creep while trolling, but at that setting it is way too tight to fight a fish. With a fish on I try to back it off a little bit but it is so touchy that a little bump of the knob and it is way to loose and I have to fiddle with it to get it right. I had a single action rookie out last weekend and he lost three in a row on that reel.

I don’t like the round knob on the Amundsen but finding the right adjustment is more predictable and it doesn’t need to be set as tight to avoid creeping. I had an abu Garcia diplomat mooching reel and the drag on that was perfect but the clutch was made out of soft aluminum so the clicker and anti reverse pawls beat it to pieces. I finally got them to warranty exchange it for a different reel after I replaced the clutch and bearings once. Maybe I expect too much out of an expensive reel.

You have to back it off a bit when setting gear so it doesn’t pull out of the clip on the drop. A little bump of the thumb and it goes full free spool. That’s annoying. Then a quarter turn or less when the gear is down sets the drag so it doesn’t creep while trolling, but at that setting it is way too tight to fight a fish. With a fish on I try to back it off a little bit but it is so touchy that a little bump of the knob and it is way to loose and I have to fiddle with it to get it right. I had a single action rookie out last weekend and he lost three in a row on that reel.

I don’t like the round knob on the Amundsen but finding the right adjustment is more predictable and it doesn’t need to be set as tight to avoid creeping. I had an abu Garcia diplomat mooching reel and the drag on that was perfect but the clutch was made out of soft aluminum so the clicker and anti reverse pawls beat it to pieces. I finally got them to warranty exchange it for a different reel after I replaced the clutch and bearings once. Maybe I expect too much out of an expensive reel.
Interesting. I've never struggled with it that way.

It kinda sounds like the spacer washer is missing to get the right separation. The drag shouldn't be so touchy, i have 4 MR 3's and none of them are like that

you might also be having a problem with one of the bearings. my mr3 gave me so much trouble out of the box i actually hated it and tried to sell it. the drag knob was loosening off as i was retrieving line; leaving it almost freespooling when fighting a fish. a whole new set of bearings, and an improved drag spring later it’s now just barelyadequate. love it when it’s working but it takes a bit of maintenance to have it perfect.

I have the same issue with my Trophy reel… drives me crazy. I can turn the tension knob 5 full revolutions but it’s just the last sensitive 1/4 turn that does anything. Not an issue with my Tr3 or shimano GT4000..

That is why I got rid of all my mr3, I love my 17 year old mr2 x 2, and my wife’s pink MR2LA, no creep, I was told the new mr3 did not do that anymore, guess I was wrong

I don't have an issue with any of my MR3's. They are probably 10 and 7 years old, two have the milled or vented backs and one has the solid back. They all work the same and take a couple turns to really tighten the drag up significantly from "free spool". I maintain mine every year as per the video posted and store with the drag loose. I would assume/hope the reel is properly greased out of the box. I would call Islander or return it to the shop you purchased from for another.

On the reel seat there should be a QC#

Good luck hope you get this sorted out!

Mike

Island Outfitter told me to put oil on the cork and rub it all over the cork and then wipe it off. The video did not show that step. I have always done it and I think it is necessary

Sometimes it take a little bit to break a new reel in. The Chinese reels are not equal to an islander not even close...fit, finish and customer service is not the same. the MR3 is slightly more touchy than the mr2, I guided with and now personally fish with both. The creep people experience also help you put a fish in the boat as it is the low startup inertia. If you want to break the drag in, tie it off to you cannonball and drop the ball to 300' with the drag set fairly firm. Also as CIVANO said make sure there is not loads of oil on the cork, works better with most of it wiped off.

FWIW-Super Lube is tough to find these days Home Hardware in my neighbourhood has never heard of the stuff and Home Depot says 'Unavailable in Your Area'.

Prices on Amazon are as usual outright nuts.

Back