Islander mooching Reels

TGofers

Do these ever go on sale or the always close to $500??
Want to get one reel soon but am having issues spending half a grand

gently used ones pop up here all the time in the buy n sell forum

retail outfits are price fixed .........so really there hands are tied
end of season or x-mas or early new years is the times they most come up

but treat yourself to a new Amundson or two and i am sure you'll be happy

retail outfits are price fixed .........so really there hands are tied
end of season or x-mas or early new years is the times they most come up

but treat yourself to a new Amundson or two and i am sure you'll be happy

I would have to agree with that. I bought two new Amundsons last year for the price of one Islander and I couldn't be happier with them. Nice reels to use and look at.

Do these ever go on sale or the always close to $500??
Want to get one reel soon but am having issues spending half a grand

Sometimes it is better to spend a littler more to get a product that should last you a long time.., that being said there are some very decent reels in the 200-300$ range too-- Trophy being the name coming to mind , ask around but im pretty sure once you use a precision reel you wont wanna go back... My first Islander was a gift, bought the second one and have no regrets .. Other then now i want a 3rd....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picked up a new Amundson TMX5 Theron today. It has the new carbon fiber drag. Hoping to get out Thursday/Friday to give it a go.

If I like the Amundson I'll be putting a couple Islander MR3's up for sale. A couple of them have never been used. They are back ups for the boat.
I'm hoping the Amundson doesn't have reel creep like the Islanders do.

Be good to know what you think of the new Amundson's with a forum post after you give them a try.

For sure will do. I'll post up some pics of the reel ( I got the blue one ) and a full review of how it fishes. Hopefully I'll be able to post a review of how it fights a fish also if they're biting. The Theron is the version without the holes cut out on the back of the reel.
I'll also measure and weigh the reel comparing it to the MR3's I have.
I got the reel spooled with 300 yds of 30lb which is the same as my MR3's so it should give a good comparison weight wise.

The reel is beautiful by the way. But I'll definitely do a thread posting on it on it's own since this is pretty much a highjacking on this thread. Sorry to the OP..

FYI the THERON is only available at PNT. TMX5 is available at most shops. Both reels are 4 3 /4 inch as islanders are 4's 1/2 both have same line capacity and same drag. I ran them last summer with great results. The production run should have no issues...time will tell. ☺

Yes ST that's what Amundson told me also; the Theron is exclusive to PNT. When you say "both have same line capacity and drag" which "both" do you mean?
I think you mean the TMX5 and the Theron correct? I think the only difference between them is the Theron doesn't have the holes in the back of the reel. Is that correct?
How did you find the drag, was there any creep at all?
Maybe we should ask the mods to move this thread? If not I'll start a new one after fishing the reel Thur/Friday.

My Mr3's don't creep.. I was told that creeping issue was dealt with...mine are new and a year old, looking forward to trying the Admundson reels , at 80% of an mr3 price that sucker better be buttery smooth like the Islanders here the first fish of the new Mr3... Area 17 special [emoji12]
32f7da68a94e14ec3f3803d031a76c9a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 2 MR3's and love them both they are paired with g Loomis mooching rods .. do tend to have line creep but we just crank the drag up and that tends to fix that ...

just ordered two of the rapala north coast mooching reels with matching rods thought we would try something new this year and really liked the look of the rapala when I stopped into cabelas last week.

normally I wouldn't bat an eye at a rapala item since everything I have ever owned has been garbage but we will see at $368.00 bucks for rod and reel it's worth a shot and money wasn't an issue we just thought they looked good and the seal attracter as people have called it we loved .

I have 2 MR3's and love them both they are paired with g Loomis mooching rods .. do tend to have line creep but we just crank the drag up and that tends to fix that ...

just ordered two of the rapala north coast mooching reels with matching rods thought we would try something new this year and really liked the look of the rapala when I stopped into cabelas last week.

normally I wouldn't bat an eye at a rapala item since everything I have ever owned has been garbage but we will see at $368.00 bucks for rod and reel it's worth a shot and money wasn't an issue we just thought they looked good and the seal attracter as people have called it we loved .

Well that's the issue with the MR3's. They do have line creep. I have 5 of them. All only a year old. Some anglers like to keep their drag fairly tight when trolling. If you do then you won't notice the line creep.
Myself I don't like a tight drag; especially when there are large 30-40 lb Springs around. If you have your drag just a bit too tight when a hog hits hard, releases the clip, and runs immediately you increase your chance of a line break or needlessly popped hook IMO. If your reel can still hold in place while trolling deep yet be loose enough to allow the big fish to hit hard and run then your odds increase in not having a line break or a hook pop.

I'm going to be going back to fishing my Hardy with no drag on one of my rods cause I love the no drag fight. The less drag the more you can tell what the fish is doing on the end of your line.

Currently a lot of us Islander MR2 and MR3 users are using clips to hold our lines as a line creep fixer. Having a perfect drag with no creep but still holds in place at a looser setting would be ideal for a lot of us I think.
Looking forward to seeing what the Amundson is like.

Funny that in the fly fishing world a low "start up inertia", which would equate to line creep if set under tension, is the gold standard in fly reel drags and high start up inertia is equated with a sub-par, "grabby" drag. Mooching reels are essentially beefed up fly reels, so shouldn't be a surprise that the high end reels with drag systems based on the best from the fly fishing reel (a la Abel Reels, Islander) have low start-up inertia and thus line creep if set on the light side.

Personally I'll take the butter smooth and consistent drag of an Islander every day over the alternative, even if it means tightening up a bit and then backing off once popped outta the clip.

Cheers!

Ukee

Back