Island Fires

Word is they are working with Mosaic to open a route through Horne Lake. Grading and putting up signs to make decent and well signed so no one gets lost. Hoping they get this done and someone goes through with a boat first and can report back to the rest of us.

I was just in a meeting regarding the Cameron lake fire and I was told it could be 5-6 days for the highway to open.
Can anyone give an update about the fire potentially heading for Errington?

I have friends arriving at the nanaimo airport for a charter in uki tommarow, Google maps is saying they can go through a Horne lake route. Is that possible or should I send them through the lake cowichan way?

Horne Lake is not an option at this point.

Perhaps Mosaic will get their crap together and get that operational (should be at all times for emergency use IMO).
For now, only access is via Cowichan...

Nog The Trapped

The pictures I posted earlier are no longer valid.

Mount Arrowsmith and the entire ridge on either side is lost in the smoke.
And the smoke is now wandering into town.
Tough on the throat & lungs!

B.C. Wildfires 2023: Blaze on Vancouver Island that closed Highway 4 spreading rapidly​

The fire has forced officials to close the only highway to popular Island destinations such as Port Alberni, Tofino and Ucluelet

Nog

Horne Lake is not an option at this point.

Funny, on Google Maps now it shows a route through Horne Lake when I checked on my phone. :rolleyes:

For those who have driven the route through Cowichan how are the roads once you leave pavement through to Alberni?

My wife is VERY stubborn and wants to get to Tofino. :rolleyes:

Also to add BC Highways have made it official that Cowichan will be the alternate route.

Last edited:
Funny, on Google Maps now it shows a route through Horne Lake when I checked on my phone. :rolleyes:

Oh the route itself exists alright.
But Mosaic has gated the hell out of it, and ignored maintenance for years.
be a spell before they can actually get it drive-able.
And I STRONGLY suggest NOT dragging a boat through there if / when they do!

Drove it many a time before the lumber companies began their ignorant gate crusade...

Nog

You know what the wost part here the "new" way of fighting fire is to put a bucket of water on a helicopter, and if the mars were still used instead of the government screwing the lil guy like they did the mars would have to do a few dumploads and probally be contained way better . Its like going to a water gun fight with a lil 2.99 pistol hand held or showing up with a super soaker!!!
I may have to Run up from sooke!!!???

The alternate route Pippen posted above is now shut down due to a roll-over at the half way mark.
Should be cleared later on today methinks...

The alternate route Pippen posted above is now shut down due to a roll-over at the half way mark.
Should be cleared later on today methinks...
Crash was bound to happen on that route, plus that commercial truck was way over sized to be doing that route.

What would a float plane cost from Nanaimo/Comox to Port Alberni or Tofino ? There is also an airfield there for wheeled aircraft which are a bit cheaper to charter.
CR Greg

Appears the highway is going to be closed for a while...

Highway 4 – Cameron Lake – Vancouver Island

Highway 4 is CLOSED in the Cameron Lake area (Koen Road to Cathedral Grove) due to wildfire. Damage to the road and instability of the slope above the highway means this closure is likely to last beyond the fire itself.

My cousins both went the Cowitchan way today from both sides and both ways. Said road was good if you just did 60kmh but very dusty. The afternoon trip was a lot busier they said. This was at 7 this morning 1686179095271.png

Back