Island Built: Silver Streak vs Lifetimer

SaltyAlice

Good evening!

Wondering if you fine folks had an opinion on Lifetimer vs Silver Streak, and if there are alternate Island-based aluminum boat builders that are in even higher esteem. Do either of these groups do certain things better than the other? I am likely looking at something like the 18' Offshore centre consoles.

Looking forward to your sage guidance.

Good evening!

Wondering if you fine folks had an opinion on Lifetimer vs Silver Streak, and if there are alternate Island-based aluminum boat builders that are in even higher esteem. Do either of these groups do certain things better than the other? I am likely looking at something like the 18' Offshore centre consoles.

Looking forward to your sage guidance.
Worth noting Bridgeview make a pretty slick 18’ centre console. I think a lot of
lodges run them.

I did sea trial on a used 18 Lifetimer CC and it did very well, I liked it a lot but we could not come together on a fair price, when it came to buying new I ended up going with a 18 hardtop Silverstreak. A hardtop is a little more family friendly for crappy weather and went with silver streak because the pod isn't included in the length. Both boat builders are great, neither are cheap. Get what fits your style. I looked at Bridgeview but they were probably the most expensive. Put your order in soon if you want it built for this summer season.

Northwest aluminum craft and walker boats would be pretty high on my list of aluminum boat builders on the island.

Northwest, daigle, rip tide.

Riptide will build you anything you want. Awsome aluminum fabricating and welding. They tig all their stuff which is very rare for a boat building operation. Not to mention that Tifanny and Cody are awsome people and great to deal with.

Walker boats is building my new boat. They work closely with Bruce Cope and I know they've built at least a few of his 18 foot centre console designs. I was most impressed by the quality of their welding when I was shopping around for a builder.

Northwest, daigle, rip tide.

Riptide will build you anything you want. Awsome aluminum fabricating and welding. They tig all their stuff which is very rare for a boat building operation. Not to mention that Tifanny and Cody are awsome people and great to deal with.
Huh? Tig welding is not rare for properly built custom aluminum boats. Ya cheaper cookie cutter production line aluminum's are mig'd but not well made custom aluminum's.

I was under the impression most builders MIG the vast majority of welds and TIG the pretty stuff like rails, rigger mounts, consoles etc.
Mig for bulk, less important non structural welds. Tig for strength, quality, structural strenght and for better appearance on cosmetic surfaces and thinner material. Robot Mig's are used for a lot of the bulk welds in bigger companies, but very important welds will be hand done by the more experienced Tig welders.

Mig being faster has less distortion but for quality and for better more controlled penetration Tig is used. Tig is also used when you can't weld the opposite side. Anyone can Mig, not every Mig welder can Tig weld.

Last edited:
RIP tide tig welds everything. I've worked closely with them on a few projects. I've asked them what their take was and they said their welders are more efficient with tig. I was surprised to say the least. Anyhow I was also impressed.they have a huge staff. Think 80 people or somewhere in that range. They are sister companies with an aluminum trailer outfit. They are built for production.

Pulse mig is the standard for production of anything aluminum.

Huh? Tig welding is not rare for properly built custom aluminum boats. Ya cheaper cookie cutter production line aluminum's are mig'd but not well made custom aluminum's.
You dont tig weld 20 ft of 1/4 inch. There is a reason push-pull guns cost an arm and a dick.

You tig weld when its too thin to mig, or where appearances matter.

I've seen guys who weld aluminum day in and day out with the new mig machines and yeah, pretty awsome looking watertight welds to say the least.

Like someone said earlier in this post theres a place for mig and theres a place for tig.

But absolutley nothing wrong with tig welding whatsoever. You can tig anything, however it takes alot longer. That's why I was shocked when I had that discussion. But hey if people want to tig or mig their crafts then hey, that's their choice. Either way, I'm sure it's going to turn out nice when people know what their doing.

Some boat builders like the 3 I mentioned on van island are building boats to a commercial standard. Which means the struts, bracing, ribs, however they are designing the structure in the boat is welded heavy, not just 4 inch stitch welds a foot apart. Like most of the silver streaks I've seen roll throught the shop. We have rewelded a few for not enough welding and the result is they crack. The biggest thing I have seen with those particular boats is that they not only stitch weld fsr apart, the silicon in between the stuch welds with gray silicon. This makes it a real pain in the butt, when it comes to repairing the welds. Have to scrape it all out and clean it and it's a challenge to say the least.

Production boats like thinderjet, hewes, north river etc etc are another topic all together. Thunderjet actually uses a one piece bottom on most of their boats. Which is very strong. Hewescraft does 2 piece with an extruded aluminum strip to join the 2 halves. On the bigger models they weld an angle right over this under the boat and its solid welded. Which is strong. The smaller hewes just use the strip of extruded, which always cracks. Same as the north river boats. Not sure about northrivers bigger platform.

Fiberglass is better lol

Last edited:
See that channel solid welded from bow to stern?

That's one thing that separates the work boats from the pleasure boats

Nice boat

What you pay for that about 25 grand?:p:eek:o_O

Back