Is my GPS antenna dead?

Whole in the Water

I am thinking that my Lowrance GPS antenna may be dead. I no longer get GPS coordinates to my DSC VHF radio. I am not sure if it is a wiring connection problem or a dead antenna?

I measured 9 ohms of resistance on pins 4 and 5 on the antenna connector that connects into my NMEA 2000 network. Not sure what this means (should be 60- 120 ohms of resistance or what?)

Not an electronics guy so not sure how to accurately check to see if the GPS antenna is working or not. Any ideas on how to do this?

Are you getting the correct location on the Lowrance. If you are, your antenna is ok and it is probably the connection to the radio.

If your lowrance is on the nmea2k network too switch it to receive the puck signal instead of the internal gps and see if it works. If not then probably the puck. Is it a point 1 or that basic gps one? Assuming your vhf has a direct plug into the nmea 2k network and does not get translated to nmea 0183 by the lowrance (not receiving position data from lowrance)? Also, check the fuse for the power supply of the nmea2k trunk as if it's popped your antenna will be dead as it has no other power supply.

Back