ironwood 22/25?

capt hook

as anyone had much experience with the 22 or 25 ironwood?
lots of them at fishing lodges.
i just sold my older 23 Grady . i loved the Grady soft entry ride.
i,m impressed with the construction of the ironwoods and the simplicity of them. i like the high bow and the hull shape , it has a flat spot where side meets hull that kinda acts like a clinker or rolling chalk.
my grady was reallllly quick roll.
i dont need bunks and galley ******* or showers.
just want a new engine , low maintenance machine.
that rides nice.

I think that is what they run up in Langara. The one I was on was a 26 with twin 115 Yamaha's.
I was really impressed with that boat and how it ran in rough water. Was a Center console but very dry when running into the waves. Solid built too. I thought the hull would make for a great cabin cruiser.

I think that is what they run up in Langara. The one I was on was a 26 with twin 115 Yamaha's.
I was really impressed with that boat and how it ran in rough water. Was a Center console but very dry when running into the waves. Solid built too. I thought the hull would make for a great cabin cruiser.

did it pound or jar your teeth filings out?
i have never rode in one , but i like the looks of one i know for sale. i think it is a 22.
its a centre consul with really high bow, nothing fancy but solid.
but expensive!!!
the factory must be busy as they do not return calls or emails.
as i would like to get a price

No jarring or pounding. Was my first time in an aluminum boat like that.
Like I said I was really impressed with the ride and how dry it was for an open boat.

Here is a couple of pics of the boat we used up in Langara. Went quite far offshore looking for Halibut. No problems. Smooth ride.

Attachments

• IMG_2521 (Large).jpg
    IMG_2521 (Large).jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_2441 (Large).jpg
    IMG_2441 (Large).jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_2443 (Large).jpg
    IMG_2443 (Large).jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 286
They are hard to find use. They have a nice flaired hull I like the quality. Look at stabicraft if u want a metal boat that rides nice, I have owned one and they are really nice. The nice thing about ironwood is they are local

Hopefully I can help a bit

Hope this helps you out! There is a long wait for production there. At least a year plus. Very busy shop. Used is your best bet I'd say. Actually a lot of comparable custom hulls in BC, yes they have a bit of a bow flare which is cool, but there are a lot of other great builders as well. I really like NW aluminum hulls, daigle, Lifetimer, well... Anything that I can't afford really :p

Ridden in a langara CC with twins, rides great, not too heavy, hull is designed very well, unchanged for many years. Even the single 70hp center cons ride great, such good fishing boats, take a savage beating... However, the swells at Langara are very different from the straight in case you haven't noticed!!! The chop in the straight is a lot different, NW/SW wind the swell distance is very short. Not at all comfortable in any craft in the low 20's really from what I've seen! Not super experienced, that is just my opinion.

The hard top I fish off is a great boat (I did a refit on it, work on it, etc. It's my Dad's boat... Usually always me fishing off it though). Older 20' model, does pound still (sometimes a lot - if you trim the bow down it works great but sucks fuel) - We have suspension seats in the boat, helps a ton. It is the same hull design as a Center con, not heavy at all, built solid (1/4" Hull), there are quite a few things I'd change (A fish box would be nice - I use the splash well lol, longer, wider beam as they are only 8' from the factory! Pod style bracket, rear helm- aka lots of money!), but that is the same on any boat as there is no perfect one. Self bailing is the best! No bilge pump no worries, deck can shed water so fast... Yep feet get wet when everyone wants to look over the back of the boat but whatever!

Oh, it's pretty much unsinkable and damn near goes through anything the straight can throw at it! :eek: However, I don't like fishing when it gets even the slightest bit nasty it rolls and is not enjoyable. Underway is great.

IMG_0806.jpg

20150316_164449_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a couple of pics of the boat we used up in Langara. Went quite far offshore looking for Halibut. No problems. Smooth ride.

Looks very similar configuration to the Broadwater hulls one of the charter outfits in Winter Harbour uses. They're made in Prince Rupert, might be another avenue to explore. I've had 6 days fishing one of those boats under some fairly snotty conditions, comfortable ride for aluminum boat. Good versatile layout for trolling, casting or jigging.

Back