IPHC Results

If you were looking for an answer to our problems in the results of this IPHC meeting then I think you were looking in the wrong place. The answers you seek is in the allocation of the TAC.

WTF is everyone on about? THIS ISN'T GOOD NEWS. how soon we forget in less than a years time.

We've been skinned and now we are happy that we "might" get to keep it the way it was last year? this is silly. Oh boy, we are "allowed" to keep 6 AND they all get to be under 60lbs. That rocks!! gimme a break. this isn't a win - this is a very unfortunate situation that has been played well by the politicians.

Compared to the alternative it's better. Don't think everyone has forgotten we need more than 15%. Or at least I haven't

At times there can be a lot of DFO and Commercial bashing on this forum and, to be honest, I am no fan of some of the boneheaded decisions DFO makes at times (like the 83cm slot that has no valid data to support it's value) or the much-hated 85% of the halibut quota gifted to the commercial sector. That being said, a huge thanks has to go out to the DFO and Commercial representatives who participate at the IPHC on behalf of Canada and perform such a competent job. With no disrespect to the dedicated rec sector reps who do play a role for the Canadian contingent, anyone who's followed the IPHC for years knows that DFO and the commercial sector do the majority of the "heavy lifting" and all Canadian fishers benefit.

So, on behalf of one recreational halibut angler - thank you DFO and Commercial Fishery representatives for doing such a bang-up job year after year. Of course, I also extend my thanks and gratitude to all those who represented our halibut sport fishing interests. Thank you all!!

Ukee

Good post Ukee. It is great to witness the sectors come together for a common goal and have some success. I think it shows that the sectors can accomplish more when working together rather than the divide and conquer that DFO likes to promote.

Last edited by a moderator:
Compared to the alternative it's better. Don't think everyone has forgotten we need more than 15%. Or at least I haven't

We all WANT more fish. Until the Americans change their behaviour or the IPHC changes there apportionment model we are all in a tough spot.

Back