IPHC Results

fish4all

I would like to thank our Canadian contingency for a job well done. It was a very difficult negotiation this year. Proud to say Canada ended up at 6.85 million. A very small decrease compared to what was slated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done wow. For rec sector means essentially same as last year, 1,400lbs less which is pretty much negligible. Now comes the hard part...agreeing on regs.

Thanks, Englishman, for representing us - anglers! Well done! That's part 1 of the puzzle. Now on to the next fight!

So? English was in Seattle? Which group did he go with?

And what was the result for the Alaskans?

Englishman is a SVIAC member and he was asked by the BoD to represent the rec sector in SVIAC's newly acquired seat on the IPHC.

Another way SVIAC lobbies on behalf of the rec. fishing sector. For more in on SVIAC check out the website at: http://anglerscoalition.com/

If you are not a member please consider joining as the more members we have the better we can lobby!

Wow, didn't know Sviac has a seat at the negotiating table at IPHC! Good on you! And thanks for the great effort. That alone is worth a membership!

Wicked, great job guys and many, many thanks for your hard work and representation on behave of the whole rec sector.

Thank you English don't know if I will get out fishing, but I sure appreciate your input for all of us. :)

Check out the report on how the 2014 IPHC recommendation for the 2014 Halibut TAC on the SVIAC website at http://anglerscoalition.com/, under the section titled "the Skinny"

Many thanks to Englishman for representing SVIAC seat on the IPHC and the Canadian rec fishing sector! It cost SVIAC $ to send him down there so memberships and donations are gratefully accepted to help cover the costs.

So now that we know the tac what's the next step in deciding our halibut season?is there a scheduled dfo meeting?

The next step is the SFAB meets with the DFO and gives them their recommendations, and it seems like fishing halibut past sept is the most important thing to the people in charge and the people they represent. So with that in mind I would assume similar regs then last year, with the max size up a bit.

The next step is the SFAB meets with the DFO and gives them their recommendations, and it seems like fishing halibut past sept is the most important thing to the people in charge and the people they represent. So with that in mind I would assume similar regs then last year, with the max size up a bit.

I would hope they would shorten the season maybe May to end of September when 99% of halibut fishermen are active.
Would help to make sure we used up our quote and hopefully increase possession a bit to make it worth while for guys who like to come over and support the Island economy.

I would hope they would shorten the season maybe May to end of September when 99% of halibut fishermen are active.
Would help to make sure we used up our quote and hopefully increase possession a bit to make it worth while for guys who like to come over and support the Island economy.

Vicotria makes upa big part of the angling community that is active outside of those months. However I think if you gave those guys a feb start date, they wouldn't give a **** about oct/noc/dec. fishing

At times there can be a lot of DFO and Commercial bashing on this forum and, to be honest, I am no fan of some of the boneheaded decisions DFO makes at times (like the 83cm slot that has no valid data to support it's value) or the much-hated 85% of the halibut quota gifted to the commercial sector. That being said, a huge thanks has to go out to the DFO and Commercial representatives who participate at the IPHC on behalf of Canada and perform such a competent job. With no disrespect to the dedicated rec sector reps who do play a role for the Canadian contingent, anyone who's followed the IPHC for years knows that DFO and the commercial sector do the majority of the "heavy lifting" and all Canadian fishers benefit.

So, on behalf of one recreational halibut angler - thank you DFO and Commercial Fishery representatives for doing such a bang-up job year after year. Of course, I also extend my thanks and gratitude to all those who represented our halibut sport fishing interests. Thank you all!!

Ukee

At times there can be a lot of DFO and Commercial bashing on this forum and, to be honest, I am no fan of some of the boneheaded decisions DFO makes at times (like the 83cm slot that has no valid data to support it's value) or the much-hated 85% of the halibut quota gifted to the commercial sector. That being said, a huge thanks has to go out to the DFO and Commercial representatives who participate at the IPHC on behalf of Canada and perform such a competent job. With no disrespect to the dedicated rec sector reps who do play a role for the Canadian contingent, anyone who's followed the IPHC for years knows that DFO and the commercial sector do the majority of the "heavy lifting" and all Canadian fishers benefit.

So, on behalf of one recreational halibut angler - thank you DFO and Commercial Fishery representatives for doing such a bang-up job year after year. Of course, I also extend my thanks and gratitude to all those who represented our halibut sport fishing interests. Thank you all!!

Ukee

X2 Thanks to the commercial DFO reps. We need to give credit where credit is due. At the IPHC it is a Canadian team effort. Go Canada!

WTF is everyone on about? THIS ISN'T GOOD NEWS. how soon we forget in less than a years time.

We've been skinned and now we are happy that we "might" get to keep it the way it was last year? this is silly. Oh boy, we are "allowed" to keep 6 AND they all get to be under 60lbs. That rocks!! gimme a break. this isn't a win - this is a very unfortunate situation that has been played well by the politicians.

Back