IPHC Catch Limit Comments - DO IT!

Thanks for that. Interesting because I heard early in the season that guys targeting Hali were seeing largest WPUE they had seen in a very long time. So much so they basically stopped looking around sticking to tried and true spots. Made for very short trips. Guess with that I was thinking the survey data should have followed the same trend. Unless they were deliberately trying not to catch as many fish.

Thanks for that. Interesting because I heard early in the season that guys targeting Hali were seeing largest WPUE they had seen in a very long time. So much so they basically stopped looking around sticking to tried and true spots. Made for very short trips. Guess with that I was thinking the survey data should have followed the same trend. Unless they were deliberately trying not to catch as many fish.

I have done some of the research years ago and there is huge differences in how the surveys work and the realities of fishing. For one, commercial fishermen use tidebooks to pick where they want to fish and on what days where the charters do not. Also the quality of bait used on a commercial vessel is superior to that of a research boat.

I dont have the info in front of me but I thought last year the increase in survey wpue was larger than the commercial wpue increase.

Back