Invermere /Radium trout streams

I am heading up to Invermere next week and will have some time in the evenings to wet my fly. Any suggestions for streams I should try, anywhere between or close to the route between Cranbrook and Invermere? If a particular stream, where is a good access point...I don't mind walking a few kms once I am on the river. Thanks for any advice you can provide.

You'll be right beside Horsethief and Toby Creeks, both of which can be good. There are better trout streams further south in the Valley, though. Upper Dutch Creek if you're willing to explore and the Skookumchuck, which has good access from the Findlay Creek road network. Even further south the St. Mary river is a premier cutthroat stream. If heading that far south a stop in at the St Mary angler fly shop would be well worth it as they can direct you to other rivers like the White River system and the Bull as well as which systems are producing and what is hatching, etc.

Envious, not much compares to wild westslope cutts on dry flies in mountain streams!!

Ukee

I used to fish out near elko in the elk river, just before it entered the wigwam. a small scenic hike in. used to be pretty good for cutts. actually very good. got a few nice ones that had been tagged with montana f&g noodle tags.... throw a fly (wet or dry) in the fast stuff and have fun. muddler minnow deer hair pattern was hard to beat.

thanks to you both. Since I will be driving north from Cranbrook I will probably try the St. Mary's first. Will report back later!

Back