Insurance

papg5860

I see answers to just about anything on this site so here goes one I'm having trouble with. I'm currently living in Alberta and trailer out to Prince Rupert and Vancouver Island each year, the insurance company I currently use has so many restrictions that I can hardly put it into the water, not allowed on the west coast of the island, not in the states etc. If anyone has suggestions on a boater "friendly" insurance company it would be greatly appreciated, the brokers near where I live didn't have much knowledge on ocean policies since we're 1900km from the ocean.

My insurance company is virtually the same however I am able to get the areas extended, you just have to ask for this and I think it also depends on your experience and marine courses (CPS etc) if they agree to this. You might have to go to a BC insurance company.

Though absolutely NOT for everyone there are a lot of folks out there paying a small amount to extend the liability portion of their home policies to cover their boats and choosing to self insure for the value of their boat from loss or theft...

Really depends on the $ value of your boat and your risk profile but it's not uncommon to find that your boat insurance over 10-15 years pays for your next boat...

I think I paid $71 for $3M in liability last time I did this on a 20' boat with a 115hp outboard. Sometime boats under 16'/25hp are included for free as long as they are delcared.

Again, I'm not recommending this, just saying it is a cost effective option to at least having liability coverage if you can't afford/don't want to pay the rate of a full coverage policy...

I use Royal and Alliance and pay for a declared value policy. ie We agreed on a total loss value and I pay for that plus I got a $250 deductible for collision (read dead-head) damage to outboards or hull. 1,000,000 3rd party. About $1500/year. ~$130,000 if she burns to the waterline and sinks ;).

Thanks for the help all, I'll give the companies you have recommended and hopefully they can give me something that is workable.

Just an FYI for you papg5850, I just got my insurance in the mail and here is what it says about where the policy lets me go:

BC Inland and Coastal (Under 26')
This policy to be confined to the navigable inland waters of BC (excluding Williston and Kinbasket Lakes), Alberta and Saskatchewan and with permission to ocassionally operate on the navigable inland waters of Washington, Idaho and Montana States. This policy to be confined to the coastal waters of mainland British Columbia and the North and West Coast of Vancouver Island, including Puget Sound and adjacent waters, the Juan de Fuca Strait, and the Portland Canal, but at no time to proceed more than 20 nautical miles offshore or on the Fraser River ease of the mouth of the Sumas River.

Hope this helps in some way.

Back