Installing second helm

I use a tr-1 Gladiator auto pilot on my mains with wireless remote hanging around my neck, works great and can steering in the tightest of packs from out back,
installed myself in a day, also have it ties into my lowrance and can plot and follow a course at troll

IF its a outboard NO valves all you need is 5 lines like caspers diagram but you can get "T" that will attach directly to the second helm so you dont need the extra 2 lines, so you will need 3 from the front to back to the
"T" s on second helm then 2 lines to your main engine then a "TIE BAR" that goes from your mains to kicker i suggest in front of motors brackets are easy to make a bit of imagination and aluminum and it can be done ask rockfish to post what I did on his boat..

Good luck wolf

Wolf...first to ever do this system? You aren't that old!! lol Dual helms have been around a long time.

YES i realize that was one of the very first to use the lil wheel as it was made for me 25 years ago from a foundry and back then it was new . im not as old as YOU thats for sure....

Is there a way to have 3 helms? Sounds dumb ,but I already have 2. One is forward and the other is on the flybridge. I would like one in the back cockpit for trolling and docking when I'm by myself.

Is there a way to have 3 helms? Sounds dumb ,but I already have 2. One is forward and the other is on the flybridge. I would like one in the back cockpit for trolling and docking when I'm by myself.

I'm sure it's possible as I've seen it done, however I couldn't tell you how the hydraulic lines were configured.

Thanks Gypseas

12-13" with a speed wheel or suicide knob.

It depends where you plan to mount it. In my view 12 or 13 inches or more would be fine if you plan to mount it like a standard helm on say the outside of the bulkhead wall that separates the cabin from the fishing deck and use it more like the main helm. I have seen some that have a whole second helm station in that location including throttle, electronics etc. But, if you plan to mount it face up on the transom like mine, you want it to be smaller. Without going out and measuring it, I think mine is around 7 inches and has the knob.

There are a number of advantages to the smaller wheel:

It does not get in the way and is not a lot wider than the transom.

It is a lot more responsive in that it takes less arch/movement to make a course change or correction. This makes it easy to reach down and use quickly with one hand if you were say playing a fish and holding a rod. It’s hydraulic, you don’t need the mechanical advantage of the larger wheel to turn it as you would for the cheaper and more problematic cable systems which seem to fairly frequently get stiff or break strands and need cable replacement if constantly exposed to the marine environment.

I have a sloping canvas from the roof to the transom that covers the fishing deck when the boat is not in use and has a small pocket which goes over the small wheel and would be much more problematic to design to fit with a larger wheel.

The small wheel is cast aluminum and very heavy duty which makes it far easier to break free of the helm shaft with a good three arm gear puller without destroying the wheel or damaging the helm. When I had to replace a helm seal it sounded like a rifle shot when the gear puller broke the wheel free of the shaft.

If you want to add a third rigger off the transom there is more room for it with the smaller wheel and more room for additional rod holder mounts.

Last edited:
Dan trotac has the wheels in stock..

So ive been on the hunt for a 7-8'' steering wheel with no results. I contacted trotac and they are no longer carrying them. If anyone knows where to get one or has an old one they are willing to part with, it will be appreciated.

cheers, Daniel

try daigle marine in campbell river bud

Back