installing a alternator on a kicker

C

catcher

Is there any way to install an alternator on a manual start 2007 9.9hp johnson 4 stroke? When fishing it would be nice to be able to keep the batteries topped up. Electric riggers, sounder, radio and lights drain the battery quickly and I always want to keep one full for starting the main motor. Has anyone done this?
thanks

Not sure about your model but most outboards that size had a charging option that you could add.

For sure you could do this, there are plenty of after-market charging systems. I haven't done it myself, but I think they are installable by a non-technician -- although some require removing engine parts, so it's money well spent to pay the mechanic for an hour of their time.

I have this on my boat, and it gives a nice feeling of comfort to know one battery is isolated, and the other is at least maintaining its charge. (as well as having a battery jump starter aboard...paranoid much? No power sucks!)

And bee is right too, once your battery starts to no longer hold a charge, replace it...$100 is cheap compared to that dead in the water feeling when it won't start.

Just put one on my 01 15 yamy manual start last June.Pretty easy to install- just find somewhere to mount and attach the 3 or 4 wires to the stock wires that should be hanging off your block.Then run the line fromthe charger to your battery.I beleive it was supposed to charge at 5 ?amps but it only puts out that much when the RPMs are high.At trolling speed it was more like 2 amps if i remember correctly but so far so good.Think it was only about 110 bucks even at Sherwood.Hope this helps.

I had the charging kit installed on my Evinrude 15hp kicker a few years back. It wasn't cheap, around $600 for the kit and installation. Talk to Rod Tipton in Lake Cowichan 749-3343. He's always been good to me. I think the kit was about $300. Lots of labour, as the whole flywheel and stator have to come off.

Back