Input required for Northern MPA’s the Greens want.

Its relative in the sense that that committee did discuss things like MPAS and how they would affect The commercial fishery.

not really, OBD. It's a "consulting firm based in Guelph, Ontario" writing about the MAPP process in BC - where they weren't involved - trying to point-out that FNs need consultants like them to get things done. Typical. Following what they expect will be $. You should see the stuff that some fisheries and X-DFO consultants claim to lure in unsuspecting clients!

It’s also being widely discussed right now by the fisheries committee. Lots of great testimonials
My son worked for a time at Archipelago Research when he was going to UVic. He reviewed video monitoring of some of the different types of commercial fishing. Worst by far for bycatch were the draggers. Staggering amounts of wasted fish.

My son worked for a time at Archipelago Research when he was going to UVic. He reviewed video monitoring of some of the different types of commercial fishing. Worst by far for bycatch were the draggers. Staggering amounts of wasted fish.
My (limited) understanding of that fishery is that they have only 1 observer and the observers work daytime and only 8 hr shift. If that is true - where would you go at night verses the daytime? Esp. if you can get shutdown w too much bycatch? Would you go to the best or worst places when the observer was on duty? Then there's the fact that the bottom trawl is very robust and the foot rope is VERY robust and can take out quite a bit of habitat and sediment up sponges, etc. Not that way at all wrt the beam boat shrimp trawl fleet.

Well that's odd ... I was expecting to read something about MPA and it turned out to be about the current RCAs. I'll be going through the ones I know and the first one I looked at was this one up near Browns Bay. This one effects many of us that chum fish in the fall and goto the chum derby. A couple a years back at the derby I was fishing the line and was pulled over by DFO and warned that I was in the RCA. I politely told the CO that he was mistaken as the markers on shore shows where the line is and I was well clear of it. Some may know this area and there is 2 markers near Seperation Head and the CO had the wrong maker. No problem as he was new and was only really interested in seeing if I had barbed hooks, safety gear and not drunk, being in the derby and all. Long story short we should look at all these RCA and see if the still make sense. I know for this one I'm fully onboard with the proposed change and I think we should get as many anglers to take the survey and especially tell DFO to make the change on this RCA. Maybe if there is enough anglers looking at them and commenting we could post on this thread and accomplish something.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/forms/fm-gp/rca-acs/deepwater-eng.aspx#current
Thanks for the link, GLG. It did make an impression on me. Mostly because of DFO labelling Discovery Passage as “Alaska Marine Highway”. I also attended the meeting this week in Campbell River. Seems like there was little good news as usual.

Back